Limiting cardiovascular risk in Irish rheumatoid arthritis patients.
AffiliationRheumatology Department, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, Ireland. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
CitationLimiting cardiovascular risk in Irish rheumatoid arthritis patients. 2009, 178 (1):53-5 Ir J Med Sci
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractPatients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) are at increased risk of cardiovascular disease and premature death.
Our aims were: (1) to assess how thoroughly RA patients were being screened for cardiovascular risk factors in our outpatient population and (2) to evaluate the benefit of introducing a shared care cardiovascular booklet.
We assessed 80 patients who attend our service with RA. Our initial audit revealed that 80% of patients had not been thoroughly assessed for basic cardiovascular risk. Based on these findings, we created a shared care booklet.
On re-auditing our service, we found a significant improvement in the assessment of cardiovascular risks.
There is currently a low level of screening for cardiovascular risks in busy outpatient clinics. We felt the introduction of a shared care booklet allowed an increased level of screening in our clinics and also acted as a tool for doctor and patient education.
- Implementing an Electronic Medical Record-Based Reminder for Cardiovascular Risk Screening in Rheumatoid Arthritis.
- Authors: Akenroye AT, Kumthekar AA, Alevizos MK, Mowrey WB, Broder A
- Issue date: 2017 May
- Increased cardiovascular risk in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: an overview.
- Authors: Puttevils D, De Vusser P, Geusens P, Dens J
- Issue date: 2014 Apr
- Cardiovascular risk management in rheumatoid arthritis patients still suboptimal: the Implementation of Cardiovascular Risk Management in Rheumatoid Arthritis project.
- Authors: van den Oever IAM, Heslinga M, Griep EN, Griep-Wentink HRM, Schotsman R, Cambach W, Dijkmans BAC, Smulders YM, Lems WF, Boers M, Voskuyl AE, Peters MJL, van Schaardenburg D, Nurmohamed MT
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 1
- Implementation of the EULAR cardiovascular risk management guideline in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: results of a successful collaboration between primary and secondary care.
- Authors: Weijers JM, Rongen-van Dartel SAA, Hoevenaars DMGMF, Rubens M, Hulscher MEJL, van Riel PLCM
- Issue date: 2018 Apr