A comparison of the Glidescope, Pentax AWS, and Macintosh laryngoscopes when used by novice personnel: a manikin study.
AffiliationDepartment of Anaesthesia, Galway University Hospitals, Clinical Sciences Institute, National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationA comparison of the Glidescope, Pentax AWS, and Macintosh laryngoscopes when used by novice personnel: a manikin study. 2009, 56 (11):802-11 Can J Anaesth
JournalCanadian journal of anaesthesia = Journal canadien d'anesthésie
AbstractDirect laryngoscopic tracheal intubation is a potentially lifesaving procedure, but a difficult skill to acquire and maintain. The consequences of poorly performed intubation attempts are potentially severe. The Pentax AWS and the Glidescope are indirect laryngoscopes that may require less skill to use. We therefore hypothesized that AWS and Glidescope would prove superior to the Macintosh laryngoscope when used by novices in the normal and simulated difficult airway.
In this prospective randomized crossover trial following standardized didactic instruction, medical students with no prior experience of laryngoscopy performed tracheal intubation using each device. Each student was allowed up to three attempts to intubate in a Laerdal Intubation Trainer in two laryngoscopy scenarios and in a Laerdal SimMan manikin in one scenario. The students then performed tracheal intubation of the normal airway a second time to characterize the learning curve for each device.
The Pentax AWS provided better intubation conditions than the Glidescope or the Macintosh, resulting in greater success of intubation, particularly in the difficult laryngoscopy scenarios. The Glidescope demonstrated advantages over the Macintosh, particularly in the more difficult scenarios. Both the AWS and the Glidescope decreased the duration of intubation attempts, reduced the number of maneuvers required, and reduced the potential for dental trauma. In direct comparisons, the AWS provided the best intubation conditions.
The Pentax AWS appears to constitute a better alternative to the Macintosh for novice personnel to acquire the skills of tracheal intubation.
- Learning and performance of tracheal intubation by novice personnel: a comparison of the Airtraq and Macintosh laryngoscope.
- Authors: Maharaj CH, Costello JF, Higgins BD, Harte BH, Laffey JG
- Issue date: 2006 Jul
- Comparison of the Glidescope and Pentax AWS laryngoscopes to the Macintosh laryngoscope for use by advanced paramedics in easy and simulated difficult intubation.
- Authors: Nasim S, Maharaj CH, Malik MA, O' Donnell J, Higgins BD, Laffey JG
- Issue date: 2009 May 17
- Tracheal intubation by inexperienced medical residents using the Airtraq and Macintosh laryngoscopes--a manikin study.
- Authors: Maharaj CH, Ni Chonghaile M, Higgins BD, Harte BH, Laffey JG
- Issue date: 2006 Nov
- Retention of tracheal intubation skills by novice personnel: a comparison of the Airtraq and Macintosh laryngoscopes.
- Authors: Maharaj CH, Costello J, Higgins BD, Harte BH, Laffey JG
- Issue date: 2007 Mar
- Comparison of the Glidescope, the Pentax AWS, and the Truview EVO2 with the Macintosh laryngoscope in experienced anaesthetists: a manikin study.
- Authors: Malik MA, O'Donoghue C, Carney J, Maharaj CH, Harte BH, Laffey JG
- Issue date: 2009 Jan