A case of stiff-person syndrome, type 1 diabetes, celiac disease and dermatitis herpetiformis.
AffiliationDepartment of Diabetes and Endocrinology, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin 9, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Diabetes Mellitus, Type 1
MetadataShow full item record
CitationA case of stiff-person syndrome, type 1 diabetes, celiac disease and dermatitis herpetiformis. 2009, 111 (4):384-6 Clin Neurol Neurosurg
JournalClinical neurology and neurosurgery
AbstractAntibodies against glutamic acid decarboxylase (GAD) are involved in the pathophysiology of stiff-person syndrome (SPS) and type 1 diabetes. GAD catalyses the conversion of glutamate to gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA). GABA acts as a neurotransmitter between neurones, while in pancreatic beta cells it plays an integral role in normal insulin secretion, hence the clinical presentation of muscular spasms in SPS and insulin deficiency in diabetes. Despite this apparent major overlap in pathophysiology, SPS only rarely occurs in individuals with type 1 diabetes. We report the case of a 41-year-old man presenting with a simultaneous diagnosis of both these conditions. His case is unusual in that it is the first reported case in the literature of these conditions occurring in someone with celiac disease (CD) and dermatitis herpetiformis. We discuss why SPS and type 1 diabetes co-exist in only a minority of cases and speculate on the underlying mechanism of the association with CD and dermatitis herpetiformis in our patient.
- Stiff-person syndrome in a female patient with type 1 diabetes, dermatitis herpetiformis, celiac disease, microcytic anemia and copper deficiency Just a coincidence or an additional shared pathophysiological mechanism?
- Authors: Bilic E, Bilic E, Sepec BI, Vranjes D, Zagar M, Butorac V, Cerimagic D
- Issue date: 2009 Sep
- Stiff-person syndrome (SPS) and anti-GAD-related CNS degenerations: protean additions to the autoimmune central neuropathies.
- Authors: Ali F, Rowley M, Jayakrishnan B, Teuber S, Gershwin ME, Mackay IR
- Issue date: 2011 Sep
- Coeliac disease presenting as dermatitis herpetiformis in infancy.
- Authors: Lemberg D, Day AS, Bohane T
- Issue date: 2005 May-Jun
- [Two stiff person cases misdiagnosed as conversion disorder].
- Authors: Ozer S, Ozcan H, Dinç GS, Ertuğrul A, Rezaki M, Uluşahin A
- Issue date: 2009 Winter
- [Stiff person syndrome (Moersch-Woltman)].
- Authors: Cerimagić D, Bilić E
- Issue date: 2010 Mar-Apr