Secondary resistance to cabergoline therapy in a macroprolactinoma: a case report and literature review.
AffiliationDepartment of Academic Endocrinology and Diabetes, Beaumont Hospital and RCSI Medical School, Dublin 9, Ireland, email@example.com.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationSecondary resistance to cabergoline therapy in a macroprolactinoma: a case report and literature review. 2009: Pituitary
AbstractPrimary resistance to dopamine agonists occurs in 10-15% of prolactinomas but secondary resistance following initial biochemical and anti-proliferative response is very rare and has only been hitherto described in four previous cases, two with bromocriptine and two with cabergoline. We describe a case of a 57-year-old woman who presented with a large macroprolactinoma with suprasellar extension. She was initially treated with bromocriptine therapy with a resolution of symptoms, marked reduction in prolactin concentration and complete tumour shrinkage; a response which was subsequently maintained on cabergoline. After 8 years of dopamine agonist therapy, her prolactin concentration began to rise and there was symptomatic recurrence of her tumour despite escalating doses of cabergoline up to 6 mg weekly. Non-compliance was outruled by observed inpatient drug administration. The patient underwent surgical debulking followed by radiotherapy with good response. This case adds to the previous two cases of secondary resistance to cabergoline therapy in prolactinomas a marked initial response. While the mechanism of secondary resistance remains unknown and not possible to predict, close observation of prolactinoma patients on treatment is necessary.
Item TypeArticle In Press
- Positive prolactin response to bromocriptine in 2 patients with cabergoline-resistant prolactinomas.
- Authors: Iyer P, Molitch ME
- Issue date: 2011 May-Jun
- The use of high-dose daily cabergoline in an adolescent patient with macroprolactinoma.
- Authors: Howell DL, Wasilewski K, Mazewski CM, Hudgins RJ, Meacham LR
- Issue date: 2005 Jun
- The assessment of cabergoline efficacy and tolerability in patients with pituitary prolactinoma type.
- Authors: Bolko P, Jaskuła M, Waśko R, Wołuń M, Sowiński J
- Issue date: 2003 May
- Macroprolactinoma with secondary resistance to dopamine agonists: a case report and review of the literature.
- Authors: Tng EL, Teo AE, Aung AT
- Issue date: 2023 Mar 17
- The effect of quinagolide and cabergoline, two selective dopamine receptor type 2 agonists, in the treatment of prolactinomas.
- Authors: Di Sarno A, Landi ML, Marzullo P, Di Somma C, Pivonello R, Cerbone G, Lombardi G, Colao A
- Issue date: 2000 Jul