Has the ThinPrep method of cervical screening maintained its improvement over conventional smears in terms of specimen adequacy?
AffiliationDepartment of Pathology, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Education and Research Centre, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin 9, Ireland. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
CitationHas the ThinPrep method of cervical screening maintained its improvement over conventional smears in terms of specimen adequacy? 2009, 37 (4):239-40 Diagn. Cytopathol.
AbstractLiquid-based cytology (LBC) has replaced conventional smear assessment in many centers over recent years. In our laboratory this transfer took place in 1999. At that time we performed a split sample study comparing the conventional method of cervical smear evaluation with the ThinPrep system. This split sample study identified a dramatic improvement in specimen adequacy with LBC. While 11% of conventional preparations were reported as unsatisfactory and almost 9% were reported as suboptimal, evaluation of the same cases using LBC saw this combined figure reduced to 2.3%. AIM: To evaluate whether this dramatic fall in unsatisfactory smears has been maintained with the use of LBC. The database for all smears reported for 2005 (100% LBC) was interrogated. The number of unsatisfactory reports was calculated. The reason for an unsatisfactory report was recorded for each case. The overall unsatisfactory rate was compared with that reported in the 1999 split sample study. A total of 41,312 smear tests were reported in 2005. 1,342 (3.25%) were reported as unsatisfactory. Our findings support the ongoing value of LBC in a routine cervical screening laboratory in terms of continuing to maintain a low rate of unsatisfactory smears.
- Adequacy of cellular material in split-sampling of cervical scrapings for routine cancer screening: an analysis of 702 smears.
- Authors: Othman N, Othman NH
- Issue date: 2012 Dec
- Clinical results of a split sample liquid-based cytology (ThinPrep) study of 4,322 patients in a Turkish institution.
- Authors: Tuncer ZS, Başaran M, Sezgin Y, Firat P, Mocan Kuzey G
- Issue date: 2005
- Comparative study: conventional cervical and ThinPrep Pap tests in a routine clinical setting.
- Authors: Grace A, McBrearty P, Troost S, Thornhill M, Kay E, Leader M
- Issue date: 2002 Aug
- Improving cervical cytology screening in a remote, high risk population.
- Authors: Shield PW, Nolan GR, Phillips GE, Cummings MC
- Issue date: 1999 Mar 15
- Performance and cost analysis of Siriraj liquid-based cytology: a direct-to-vial study.
- Authors: Laiwejpithaya S, Benjapibal M, Laiwejpithaya S, Wongtiraporn W, Sangkarat S, Rattanachaiyanont M
- Issue date: 2009 Dec