Hypophysitis secondary to ruptured Rathke's cyst mimicking neurosarcoidosis.
AffiliationDepartment of Neurology, Beaumont Hospital, P.O. Box 1297, Beaumont Road, Dublin 9, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Central Nervous System Cysts
Magnetic Resonance Imaging
MetadataShow full item record
CitationHypophysitis secondary to ruptured Rathke's cyst mimicking neurosarcoidosis. 2009, 16 (4):599-600 J Clin Neurosci
JournalJournal of clinical neuroscience : official journal of the Neurosurgical Society of Australasia
AbstractHypophysitis secondary to a ruptured Rathke's cyst is rare. We describe a 53-year-old female who presented with headache and subsequently developed aseptic meningitis and panhypopituitarism. MRI findings and concomitant cardiac arrhythmia and peripheral vasculitis led to a provisional diagnosis of neurosarcoidosis. There were no respiratory manifestations of sarcoidosis. Improvement was noted with empirical treatment with steroids. Pituitary biopsy was undertaken to confirm the diagnosis prior to treatment with long-term immunosuppression for putative neurosarcoidosis. The biopsy revealed lymphocytic hypophysitis secondary to a ruptured Rathke's cyst. This report highlights a rare pathology and the importance of a tissue diagnosis before undertaking non-surgical management of a pituitary mass.
- [Secondary pan-hypophysitis caused by rupture of Rathke's cleft cyst: case report].
- Authors: Yuyama R, Kojima H, Mizutani T, Suzuki Y, Miki Y
- Issue date: 2002 Jan
- [A case of Rathke's cleft cyst in association with a ruptured aneurysm of the anterior cerebral artery mimicking pituitary apoplexy].
- Authors: Sakamoto S, Ikawa F, Kawamoto H, Ohbayashi N, Sakoda E, Hidaka T, Inagawa T
- Issue date: 2002 Feb
- Rathke's cleft cyst rupture as potential initial event of a secondary perifocal lymphocytic hypophysitis: proposal of an unusual pathogenetic event and review of the literature.
- Authors: Schittenhelm J, Beschorner R, Psaras T, Capper D, Nägele T, Meyermann R, Saeger W, Honegger J, Mittelbronn M
- Issue date: 2008 Apr
- [MR imaging study of edema along the optic tract in patient with Rathke's cleft cyst].
- Authors: Asaeda M, Kurosaki M, Kambe A, Takenobu A, Horie Y, Yamane Y, Murakami Y, Watanabe T
- Issue date: 2004 Mar
- [Granulomatous change of the pituitary stalk caused by Rathke's cleft cyst: a case report].
- Authors: Komoribayashi N, Arai H, Kubo Y, Beppu T, Ogasawara K, Sugai T, Nakamura S, Ogawa A
- Issue date: 2003 Nov