Where do out-of-hours calls to a consultant microbiologist come from?
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Microbiology, The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland and the Department of Microbiology, Beaumont Hospital, PO Box 9063, Dublin 9, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
CitationWhere do out-of-hours calls to a consultant microbiologist come from? 2009, 62 (8):746-8 J. Clin. Pathol.
JournalJournal of clinical pathology
AbstractThere is little in the literature about out-of-hours calls to medical microbiologists. The calls taken by a consultant medical microbiologist over a five-year period in an Irish tertiary referral hospital were reviewed. Excluding calls on weekend mornings and significant evening positive blood cultures, the mean annual number of calls on a one-in-four rota was 89 (range 70-111). Over 90% of calls were received before midnight and 51% were from specialist registrars. Medical specialties, neurosurgery and intensive care were the most common departments seeking advice. Two-thirds of calls related to the management of an individual patient, but advice on infection prevention and control is increasingly requested. Calls out-of-hours are not insignificant but little is known about how these vary between hospitals and what contribution they make to patient care.
- General practice out-of-hours co-operatives--population contact rates.
- Authors: Bury G, Dowling J, Janes D
- Issue date: 2006 Mar
- New Zealand's Christchurch Hospital at night: an audit of medical activity from 2230 to 0800 hours.
- Authors: Morton J, Williams Y, Philpott M
- Issue date: 2006 Mar 31
- Out-of-hours calls in clinical microbiology: the when, the why and from whom.
- Authors: Humphreys H
- Issue date: 2020 Feb
- Mobile phone consultation for community health care in rural north India.
- Authors: Bali S, Singh AJ
- Issue date: 2007
- New methodology for using incognito standardised patients for telephone consultation in primary care.
- Authors: Derkx H, Rethans JJ, Maiburg B, Winkens R, Knottnerus A
- Issue date: 2009 Jan