Malignant melanoma and breast carcinoma: a bidirectional correlation.
AffiliationDepartment of Dermatology, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin 9, Ireland, email@example.com.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationMalignant melanoma and breast carcinoma: a bidirectional correlation. 2009: Ir J Med Sci
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractBACKGROUND: Epidemiologic and genetic studies have suggested a bidirectional association between breast carcinoma (BC) and malignant melanoma (MM). OBSERVATION: We present a series of patients with MM and BC detected in our department within a span of 6 months, raising concerns for the high associations between the two malignancies. This led us to match the concordance of the two tumours in the National Irish Cancer Registry. CONCLUSION: The national figures provide evidence of a link between BC and MM. We recommend increased awareness among clinicians leading to more detailed surveillance of both second primary tumours. All MM patients with a family history of BC should be referred to a breast clinic. Women above the age of 40 with MM should undergo annual mammography and those less than 40 may be better evaluated with a breast MRI. All breast cancer patients should be made aware of the significance of changing moles and those with suspicious lesions referred to a dermatologist for evaluation.
Item TypeArticle In Press
- Second malignancies in melanoma patients in Thuringia.
- Authors: Wolff J, Wollina U
- Issue date: 2000 Nov
- Evaluation of mammographic surveillance services in women aged 40-49 years with a moderate family history of breast cancer: a single-arm cohort study.
- Authors: Duffy SW, Mackay J, Thomas S, Anderson E, Chen TH, Ellis I, Evans G, Fielder H, Fox R, Gui G, Macmillan D, Moss S, Rogers C, Sibbering M, Wallis M, Warren R, Watson E, Whynes D, Allgood P, Caunt J
- Issue date: 2013 Mar
- Risk of second primary malignancies in women with papillary thyroid cancer.
- Authors: Canchola AJ, Horn-Ross PL, Purdie DM
- Issue date: 2006 Mar 15
- The risk of subsequent primary carcinoma of the pancreas in patients with cutaneous malignant melanoma.
- Authors: Schenk M, Severson RK, Pawlish KS
- Issue date: 1998 May 1
- Breast Cancer Challenges and Screening in China: Lessons From Current Registry Data and Population Screening Studies.
- Authors: Song QK, Wang XL, Zhou XN, Yang HB, Li YC, Wu JP, Ren J, Lyerly HK
- Issue date: 2015 Jul