Student-selected components in surgery: providing practical experience and increasing student confidence.
AffiliationDepartment of Surgery, Beaumont Hospital, The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Beaumont Road, Dublin 9, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Education, Medical, Undergraduate
MetadataShow full item record
CitationStudent-selected components in surgery: providing practical experience and increasing student confidence. 2009, 178 (3):267-72 Ir J Med Sci
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractReviews of the medical school curriculum in the UK and Ireland have recommended the introduction of student-selected components (SSCs). The Department of Surgery in The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland (RCSI) has introduced a 6-week surgical SSC, which aims to develop practical clinical skills, provide mentorship and prepare students for internship.
Emphasis was placed on exposure to surgical specialities, teaching practical skills and student integration into surgical teams. Students completed an online survey pre- and post-SSC, assessing attitudes towards the course and confidence in performing ward-based and surgical skills.
The mean Likert scale scores increased for all the skills assessed. Students felt that the SSC prepared them for their first day of work and strengthened their desire to pursue surgical careers.
A surgical SSC has been successful in increasing student confidence in performing practical skills required for commencing work as a doctor. Provision of dedicated SSCs is likely to influence the career choice of students.
- Preparing students to be doctors: introduction of a sub-internship program.
- Authors: Robb WB, Falk GA, Khan WH, Hill AD
- Issue date: 2009 Nov-Dec
- Effects of participation in a cross year peer tutoring programme in clinical examination skills on volunteer tutors' skills and attitudes towards teachers and teaching.
- Authors: Buckley S, Zamora J
- Issue date: 2007 Jun 28
- Clinical skills center attending: an innovative senior medical school elective.
- Authors: Moseley TH, Cantrell MJ, Deloney LA
- Issue date: 2002 Nov
- Peer-assisted teaching of basic surgical skills.
- Authors: Preece R, Dickinson EC, Sherif M, Ibrahim Y, Ninan AS, Aildasani L, Ahmed S, Smith P
- Issue date: 2015
- Technical skills acquisition in surgery-bound senior medical students: an evaluation of student assertiveness.
- Authors: Talbott VA, Marks JA, Bodzin AS, Comeau JA, Maxwell PJ, Isenberg GA, Martin ND
- Issue date: 2012 Jul-Aug