Emergency appendicectomy in the era of laparoscopy: a one-year audit.
AffiliationDepartment of Colorectal Surgery, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, Ireland. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEmergency appendicectomy in the era of laparoscopy: a one-year audit. 2009, 178 (4):473-7 Ir J Med Sci
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractAppendicectomy for acute appendicitis is the commonest emergency surgical operation. With widespread acceptance of minimal access surgery most appendicectomies are now performed laparoscopically.
The aim of this study was to assess whether the rate of normal appendicectomy has changed following the introduction of laparoscopic techniques in our institution.
A retrospective study of patients having emergency appendicectomies over a 1-year period (2005) in a large teaching hospital was undertaken.
A comparison of data was made from a prior study performed at the same hospital in 1988. 196 adult patients underwent appendectomies during this period. The normal appendectomy rate was 10.2% compared to 22.8% in the previous study. This rate was twice as high in women of reproductive age as compared to men.
There has been widespread uptake of laparoscopic appendectomy in our hospital. This technique has reduced the rate of histologically normal appendicectomies due to intra-operative visualization of the appendix.
Item TypeArticle In Press
- Prospective nationwide outcome audit of surgery for suspected acute appendicitis.
- Authors: van Rossem CC, Bolmers MD, Schreinemacher MH, van Geloven AA, Bemelman WA, Snapshot Appendicitis Collaborative Study Group.
- Issue date: 2016 Jan
- Emergency appendicectomy: a one year audit.
- Authors: Gibney EJ, Ajayi N, Leader M, Bouchier-Hayes D
- Issue date: 1992 Apr
- Appendicectomy at a children's hospital: what has changed over a decade?
- Authors: Wilson BE, Cheney L, Patel B, Holland AJ
- Issue date: 2012 Sep
- Should the macroscopically normal appendix be removed during laparoscopy for acute right iliac fossa pain when no other explanatory pathology is found?
- Authors: Phillips AW, Jones AE, Sargen K
- Issue date: 2009 Oct
- Transition towards laparoscopic appendicectomy at a UK center over a 7-year period.
- Authors: Ventham NT, Dungworth JC, Benzoni C
- Issue date: 2015 Feb