AuthorsChotirmall, Sanjay Haresh
Donegan, Ciaran F
McElvaney, Noel Gerard
AffiliationDepartment of Medicine, Respiratory Research Division, Education & Research Centre, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin 9, Republic of Ireland. email@example.com
Drug Delivery Systems
Respiratory Function Tests
MetadataShow full item record
CitationDiagnosis and management of asthma in older adults. 2009, 57 (5):901-9 J Am Geriatr Soc
JournalJournal of the American Geriatrics Society
AbstractDespite comprehensive guidelines established by the European Global Initiative for Asthma and the U.S. National Asthma Education and Prevention Program on the diagnosis and management of asthma, its mortality in older adults continues to rise. Diagnostic and therapeutic problems contribute to older patients being inadequately treated. The diagnosis of asthma rests on the history and characteristic pulmonary function testing (PFT) with the demonstration of reversible airway obstruction, but there are unique problems in performing this test in older patients and in its interpretation. This review aims to address the difficulties in performing and interpreting PFT in older patients because of the effects of age-related changes in lung function on respiratory physiology. The concept of "airway remodeling" resulting in "fixed obstructive" PFT and the relevance of atopy in older people with asthma are assessed. There are certain therapeutic issues unique to older patients with asthma, including the increased probability of adverse effects in the setting of multiple comorbidities and issues surrounding effective drug delivery. The use of beta 2-agonist, anticholinergic, corticosteroid, and anti-immunoglobulin E treatments are discussed in the context of these therapeutic issues.
- Overcoming gaps in the management of asthma in older patients: new insights.
- Authors: Barua P, O'Mahony MS
- Issue date: 2005
- Advances in the diagnosis and management of asthma in older adults.
- Authors: Al-Alawi M, Hassan T, Chotirmall SH
- Issue date: 2014 May
- Practical Considerations for the Diagnosis and Management of Asthma in Older Adults.
- Authors: Yawn BP, Han MK
- Issue date: 2017 Nov
- Improvement in symptoms and pulmonary function of asthmatic patients due to their treatment according to the Global Strategy for Asthma Management (GINA).
- Authors: Boskabady MH, Rezaeitalab F, Rahimi N, Dehnavi D
- Issue date: 2008 Dec 22
- Drug development for severe asthma: what are the metrics?
- Authors: Robinson CB, Leonard J, Panettieri RA Jr
- Issue date: 2012 Aug