An assessment of the long-term health outcome of renal transplant recipients in Ireland.
Phelan, P J
Khan, A H
Rahman, M A
Walshe, J J
Conlon, P J
AffiliationDepartment of Nephrology, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin 9, Ireland, firstname.lastname@example.org.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAn assessment of the long-term health outcome of renal transplant recipients in Ireland. 2009: Ir J Med Sci
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractBACKGROUND: Renal transplantation remains the preferred method of renal replacement therapy in terms of patient survival, quality of life and cost. However, patients have a high risk of complications ranging from rejection episodes, infection and cancer, amongst others. AIMS AND METHODS: In this study, we sought to determine the long-term health outcomes and preventive health measures undertaken for the 1,536 living renal transplant patients in Ireland using a self-reported questionnaire. Outcomes were divided into categories, namely, general health information, allograft-related information, immunosuppression-related complications and preventive health measures. RESULTS: The results demonstrate a high rate of cardiovascular, neoplastic and infectious complications in our transplant patients. Moreover, preventive health measures are often not undertaken by patients and lifestyle choices can be poor. CONCLUSIONS: This study highlights the work needed by the transplantation community to improve patient education, adjust immunosuppression where necessary and aggressively manage patient risk factors.
Item TypeArticle In Press
- General health management and long-term care of the renal transplant recipient.
- Authors: Cohen D, Galbraith C
- Issue date: 2001 Dec
- [Total hip arthroplasty and femoral head osteonecrosis in renal transplant recipients].
- Authors: Stromboni M, Menguy F, Hardy P, Leparc JM, Lortat-Jacob A, Benoit J
- Issue date: 2002 Sep
- Recommendations for the outpatient surveillance of renal transplant recipients. American Society of Transplantation.
- Authors: Kasiske BL, Vazquez MA, Harmon WE, Brown RS, Danovitch GM, Gaston RS, Roth D, Scandling JD, Singer GG
- Issue date: 2000 Oct
- Do the outcomes of living donor renal allograft recipients differ with peritoneal dialysis and hemodialysis as a bridge renal replacement therapy?
- Authors: Prasad N, Vardhan H, Baburaj VP, Bhadauria D, Gupta A, Sharma RK, Kaul A
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- Long-term results of ABO-incompatible living kidney transplantation: a single-center experience.
- Authors: Tanabe K, Takahashi K, Sonda K, Tokumoto T, Ishikawa N, Kawai T, Fuchinoue S, Oshima T, Yagisawa T, Nakazawa H, Goya N, Koga S, Kawaguchi H, Ito K, Toma H, Agishi T, Ota K
- Issue date: 1998 Jan 27