Taurine attenuates radiation-induced lung fibrosis in C57/Bl6 fibrosis prone mice.
AffiliationDepartment of Surgery, Beaumont Hospital, The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Dublin, Ireland. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
CitationTaurine attenuates radiation-induced lung fibrosis in C57/Bl6 fibrosis prone mice. 2010, 179 (1):99-105 Ir J Med Sci
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractThe amino acid taurine has an established role in attenuating lung fibrosis secondary to bleomycin-induced injury. This study evaluates taurine's effect on TGF-beta1 expression and the development of lung fibrosis after single-dose thoracic radiotherapy.
Four groups of C57/Bl6 mice received 14 Gy thoracic radiation. Mice were treated with taurine or saline supplementation by gavage. After 10 days and 14 weeks of treatment, TGF-beta1 levels were measured in serum and bronchoalveolar lavage fluid (BALF). Lung collagen content was determined using hydroxyproline analysis.
Ten days post radiotherapy, serum TGF-beta1 levels were significantly lower after gavage with taurine rather than saline (P = 0.033). BALF TGF-beta1 at 10 days was also significantly lower in mice treated with taurine (P = 0.031). Hydroxyproline content was also significantly lower at 14 weeks in mice treated with taurine (P = 0.020).
This study presents novel findings of taurine's role in protecting from TGF-beta1-associated development of lung fibrosis after thoracic radiation.
- Regulation of transforming growth factor-beta1 mRNA expression by taurine and niacin in the bleomycin hamster model of lung fibrosis.
- Authors: Gurujeyalakshmi G, Hollinger MA, Giri SN
- Issue date: 1998 Mar
- [Experimental study on effect of Huaxian Decoction treating bleomycin-induced pulmonary fibrosis in mice].
- Authors: Wang SJ, Bai W, Wang CL
- Issue date: 2007 Apr
- Taurine and niacin block lung injury and fibrosis by down-regulating bleomycin-induced activation of transcription nuclear factor-kappaB in mice.
- Authors: Gurujeyalakshmi G, Wang Y, Giri SN
- Issue date: 2000 Apr
- [Effects of andrographolide on the concentration of cytokines in BALF and the expressions of type I and III collagen mRNA in lung tissue in bleomycin-induced rat pulmonary fibrosis].
- Authors: Zhu HL, Huang CL, Wang WJ, Zhan XQ, Fan XM
- Issue date: 2011 Jul
- Systemic polyethylene glycol-modified (PEGylated) superoxide dismutase and catalase mixture attenuates radiation pulmonary fibrosis in the C57/bl6 mouse.
- Authors: Machtay M, Scherpereel A, Santiago J, Lee J, McDonough J, Kinniry P, Arguiri E, Shuvaev VV, Sun J, Cengel K, Solomides CC, Christofidou-Solomidou M
- Issue date: 2006 Nov