AffiliationDepartment of Radiology, Beaumont Hospital, Beaumont Road, Dublin 9, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationTranscatheter embolisation of renal angiomyolipoma. 2010, 179 (2):211-6 Ir J Med Sci
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractAngiomyolipomas (AML) are rare benign renal tumours which are associated with aneurysms that can cause haemorrhage. Embolisation of AML greater than 4 cm with a variety of embolic agents is now the first-line treatment in these cases.
This was a retrospective analysis of all patients who underwent AML embolisation at Beaumont Hospital from 2000 to 2006 to review the efficacy of embolisation in the treatment of AMLs.
There were six patients in total (n = 6). One patient (16%) had a background of tuberous sclerosis. Half of the patients presented acutely with bleeding and abdominal pain (50%) while the other half were found incidentally. There were no mortalities overall and three patients (50%) developed post embolisation syndrome. Five patients (83%) had a good response to embolisation with no further growth or regression of the AML.
Embolisation is a safe and effective method for treating patients with AML.
- Endovascular therapy for patients with renal angiomyolipoma presenting with retroperitoneal haemorrhage.
- Authors: Incedayi M, Turba UC, Arslan B, Sabri SS, Saad WE, Matsumoto AH, Angle JF
- Issue date: 2010 Jun
- Angiomyolipomata: challenges, solutions, and future prospects based on over 100 cases treated.
- Authors: Sooriakumaran P, Gibbs P, Coughlin G, Attard V, Elmslie F, Kingswood C, Taylor J, Corbishley C, Patel U, Anderson C
- Issue date: 2010 Jan
- Renal angiomyolipomas in tuberous sclerosis--rare but potentially life-threatening lesions.
- Authors: Azim A, Rajkumar G
- Issue date: 2012 Dec 14
- Renal angiomyolipoma: long-term results after arterial embolization.
- Authors: Kothary N, Soulen MC, Clark TW, Wein AJ, Shlansky-Goldberg RD, Crino PB, Stavropoulos SW
- Issue date: 2005 Jan
- Urgent transcatheter arterial embolization for the treatment of ruptured renal angiomyolipoma with spontaneous hemorrhage.
- Authors: Duan XH, Zhang MF, Ren JZ, Han XW, Chen PF, Zhang K, Jia ZL
- Issue date: 2016 Nov