Emergency percutaneous transcatheter embolisation of acute arterial haemorrhage.
AffiliationDepartment of Academic Radiology, Beaumont Hospital, Beaumont Road, Dublin 9, Ireland. email@example.com
Aged, 80 and over
Emergency Medical Services
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEmergency percutaneous transcatheter embolisation of acute arterial haemorrhage. 2010, 179 (3):385-91 Ir J Med Sci
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractThe purpose of this study was to review indications, source of haemorrhage, method of embolisation and clinical outcome in patients referred to Interventional Radiology for the emergency management of acute arterial haemorrhage.
Retrospective review of patients undergoing emergency percutaneous embolisation over 4 years. Clinical details, computed tomographic findings, embolisation procedure details and clinical outcome are outlined.
Patients (n = 41) were included with various clinical indications for embolisation [haemoptysis (n = 8), iatrogenic (n = 7), traumatic pseudoaneurysm (n = 3), retroperitoneal bleed (n = 3), GI bleed (n = 6), splenic rupture (n = 1), renal laceration (n = 1), epistaxis (n = 12)]. Embolisation material consisted of coils, embospheres, glue, and covered stents. Technical success was achieved in 100% of cases. One patient died 2 days after embolisation secondary to myocardial infarction.
Emergency arterial embolisation is a potentially life-saving treatment. Although it is technically challenging, indications are becoming increasingly varied and outcomes are more successful because of the availability of microcatheters and effective embolisation materials.
- Transcatheter arterial embolisation in upper gastrointestinal bleeding in a sample of 29 patients in a gastrointestinal referral center in Germany.
- Authors: Heining-Kruz S, Finkenzeller T, Schreyer A, Dietl KH, Kullmann F, Paetzel C, Schedel J
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- Transcatheter embolisation of iatrogenic renal vascular injuries.
- Authors: Ierardi AM, Floridi C, Fontana F, Duka E, Pinto A, Petrillo M, Kehagias E, Tsetis D, Brunese L, Carrafiello G
- Issue date: 2014 Apr
- Transcatheter arterial embolisation for acute lower gastrointestinal haemorrhage: a single-centre study.
- Authors: Kwon JH, Kim MD, Han K, Choi W, Kim YS, Lee J, Kim GM, Won JY, Lee DY
- Issue date: 2019 Jan
- The role of endovascular treatment of pelvic fracture bleeding in emergency settings.
- Authors: Ierardi AM, Piacentino F, Fontana F, Petrillo M, Floridi C, Bacuzzi A, Cuffari S, Elabbassi W, Novario R, Carrafiello G
- Issue date: 2015 Jul
- Percutaneous transthoracic embolisation for massive haemoptysis secondary to peripheral pulmonary artery pseudoaneurysms.
- Authors: Lal A, Bansal A, Chaluvashetty SB, Sandhu MS, Gorsi U
- Issue date: 2021 Apr