AffiliationThe Department of Otolaryngology, The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Beaumont Hospital, The Education and Research Building, Beaumont, Dublin 9, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAnaplastic thyroid cancer, tumorigenesis and therapy. 2010, 179 (1):9-15 Ir J Med Sci
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractAnaplastic thyroid cancer (ATC) is a fatal endocrine malignancy. Current therapy fails to significantly improve survival. Recent insights into thyroid tumorigenesis, post-malignant dedifferentiation and mode of metastatic activity offer new therapeutic strategies.
An extensive literature search of Medline and Pubmed was conducted to include all published reports on ATC. Secondary articles were identified from key paper reference listings.
Significant progress, in the last 5 years, has been made outlining thyroid tumorigenesis and the progression to anaplasia. Continued identification and development of drug therapies is required to counter specific molecular targets responsible for the post-malignant dedifferentiation process and ultimately the fatal neoplastic phenotype.
- Anaplastic (undifferentiated) thyroid cancer: improved insight and therapeutic strategy into a highly aggressive disease.
- Authors: O'Neill JP, O'Neill B, Condron C, Walsh M, Bouchier-Hayes D
- Issue date: 2005 Aug
- Diagnostic and prognostic role of HBME-1, galectin-3, and β-catenin in poorly differentiated and anaplastic thyroid carcinomas.
- Authors: Rossi ED, Straccia P, Palumbo M, Stigliano E, Revelli L, Lombardi CP, Santeusanio G, Pontecorvi A, Fadda G
- Issue date: 2013 May
- CLM94, a novel cyclic amide with anti-VEGFR-2 and antiangiogenic properties, is active against primary anaplastic thyroid cancer in vitro and in vivo.
- Authors: Antonelli A, Bocci G, La Motta C, Ferrari SM, Fallahi P, Ruffilli I, Di Domenicantonio A, Fioravanti A, Sartini S, Minuto M, Piaggi S, Corti A, Alì G, Di Desidero T, Berti P, Fontanini G, Danesi R, Da Settimo F, Miccoli P
- Issue date: 2012 Apr
- [Current progress and management in molecular targeted therapy for advanced thyroid cancer].
- Authors: Okamura R, Sugitani I
- Issue date: 2014 Feb
- Wnt/beta-catenin signaling mediates antineoplastic effects of imatinib mesylate (gleevec) in anaplastic thyroid cancer.
- Authors: Rao AS, Kremenevskaja N, von Wasielewski R, Jakubcakova V, Kant S, Resch J, Brabant G
- Issue date: 2006 Jan