Huntington's disease presenting as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.
Pender, Niall P
Walsh, Ronan J
AffiliationDepartment of Neurology, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
MeSHAmyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
MetadataShow full item record
CitationHuntington's disease presenting as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. 2010, 11 (4):405-7 Amyotroph Lateral Scler
JournalAmyotrophic lateral sclerosis : official publication of the World Federation of Neurology Research Group on Motor Neuron Diseases
AbstractWe present the clinical, electrophysiological and molecular genetic findings of a 58-year-old male with genetically confirmed Huntington's disease (HD) and concurrent clinically definite ALS by El Escorial criteria. The patient presented with asymmetric upper limb amyotrophy and weakness, and subsequently developed chorea and cognitive change. Genetic testing confirmed the presence of expanded trinucleotide repeats in huntingtin, consistent with a diagnosis of Huntington's disease. This case confirms the rare coexistence of Huntington's disease and motor neuron degeneration.
- [Importance of the number of trinucleotide repeat expansions in the clinical manifestations of Huntington's chorea].
- Authors: Vojvodić N, Culjković B, Romac S, Stojković O, Sternić N, Sokić D, Kostić VS
- Issue date: 1998 Mar-Apr
- Huntington chorea presenting with motor neuron disease.
- Authors: Sadeghian H, O'Suilleabhain PE, Battiste J, Elliott JL, Trivedi JR
- Issue date: 2011 May
- Comment on 'Huntington's disease presenting as ALS'.
- Authors: Mandrioli J, Bernabei C, Georgoulopoulou E, Nichelli P, Cortelli P, Tupler R, Signaroldi E, Sola P
- Issue date: 2010 Aug
- Genetically confirmed Huntington's disease masquerading as motor neuron disease.
- Authors: Kanai K, Kuwabara S, Sawai S, Nakata M, Misawa S, Isose S, Hirano S, Kawaguchi N, Katayama K, Hattori T
- Issue date: 2008 Apr 15
- [Huntington's chorea: clinical aspects, genetics and current diagnosis].
- Authors: Spiegel R
- Issue date: 1995 Dec