An audit on virological efficacy of anti-retroviral therapy in a specialist infectious disease clinic.
AffiliationDepartment of Infectious Disease, Beaumont Hospital, Beaumont, Dublin 9. A.I.Reyad@hotmail.com
CD4 Lymphocyte Count
Infectious Disease Medicine
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAn audit on virological efficacy of anti-retroviral therapy in a specialist infectious disease clinic. 2009, 102 (6):186-8 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractWe have assessed the efficacy of anti retroviral therapy (ART) using undetectable viral load (VL) (<50 RNA copies/ml) as a marker of virological success, in patients who have Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) attending the Department of Infectious Disease. A cross-sectional review of patients' case notes was used to obtain their demographics and treatment details. 79% (253) of the hospital case notes of clinic population was available for analysis, which represents 90% of those receiving ART in the clinic. 166/253 of the cohort were receiving treatment at the time of this study and 95% (157/166) of these were on treatment for greater than 6 months. The total virological success rate is 93%, which is comparable to other centres and are as good as those from published clinical trials. 56% of those on therapy who have virological failure were Intravenous Drug Users (IVDUs). Case by case investigation for those with treatment failure is warranted.
- Triple-class HIV antiretroviral therapy failure in an Australian primary care setting.
- Authors: Bloch M, Farris M, Tilden D, Gowers A, Cunningham N
- Issue date: 2010 Mar
- Human immunodeficiency virus 1 protease inhibitors in clinical practice: predictors of virological outcome.
- Authors: Valdez H, Lederman MM, Woolley I, Walker CJ, Vernon LT, Hise A, Gripshover BM
- Issue date: 1999 Aug 9-23
- Response to antiretroviral therapy in HIV-infected patients attending a public, urban clinic in Kampala, Uganda.
- Authors: Spacek LA, Shihab HM, Kamya MR, Mwesigire D, Ronald A, Mayanja H, Moore RD, Bates M, Quinn TC
- Issue date: 2006 Jan 15
- [Recommendations from the GESIDA/Spanish AIDS Plan regarding antiretroviral treatment in adults with human immunodeficiency virus infection (update February 2009)].
- Authors: Panel de expertos de Gesida y Plan Nacional sobre el Sida.
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- [Recommendations from the GESIDA/Spanish AIDS Plan regarding antiretroviral treatment in adults with human immunodeficiency virus infection (update January 2007)].
- Authors: Panel de expertos de GESIDA., Plan Nacional sobre el Sida.
- Issue date: 2007 Jan