AffiliationDepartment of Public Health, HSE Eastern Region, Dr Steevens' Hospital, Dublin 8. email@example.com
Aged, 80 and over
MetadataShow full item record
CitationHospitalisations due to falls in older persons. 2005, 98 (6):179-81 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractThis paper describes hospitalisations due to falls among people aged 65 years and over resident in the Eastern Region of Ireland. Of the 2,029 hospitalisations recorded for 2002, 78% were female and 68% were aged 75 years and over. Fractures accounted for 1,697 or 84% of cases with nearly half of them (841) sustained to the hip. Females were more likely to have a limb fracture whereas males were more likely to have a head injury. The total inpatient costs of the 2,029 hospitalisations were estimated at 10.6 million euros. Hip fractures were the costliest injuries as they accounted for 7.4 million euros (70%) of inpatient costs. There are also substantial additional costs implications for hip fractures as they constituted the majority (56%) of cases transferred to nursing/convalescent homes or long-stay health facilities. In keeping with an ageing population, the problem of injuries in older people is likely to increase over time and as falls are the dominant cause of those injuries, all acute and long-stay health facilities need to develop and implement fall prevention strategies for older people.
- Incidence and characteristics of falls leading to hip fracture in Iranian population.
- Authors: Abolhassani F, Moayyeri A, Naghavi M, Soltani A, Larijani B, Shalmani HT
- Issue date: 2006 Aug
- Baseline indicators for measuring progress in preventing falls injury in older people.
- Authors: Dowling AM, Finch CF
- Issue date: 2009 Oct
- Gender differences for non-fatal unintentional fall related injuries among older adults.
- Authors: Stevens JA, Sogolow ED
- Issue date: 2005 Apr
- The CDC traumatic brain injury surveillance system: characteristics of persons aged 65 years and older hospitalized with a TBI.
- Authors: Coronado VG, Thomas KE, Sattin RW, Johnson RL
- Issue date: 2005 May-Jun
- Economic consequences of falls and fractures among older people.
- Authors: Gannon B, O'Shea E, Hudson E
- Issue date: 2008 Jun