AffiliationDepartment of Molecular Medicine, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Education and Research Centre, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin 9, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Receptor, Epidermal Growth Factor
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAldosterone as a renal growth factor., 75 (8-9):550-4 Steroids
AbstractAldosterone regulates blood pressure through its effects on the cardiovascular system and kidney. Aldosterone can also contribute to the development of hypertension that leads to chronic pathologies such as nephropathy and renal fibrosis. Aldosterone directly modulates renal cell proliferation and differentiation as part of normal kidney development. The stimulation of rapidly activated protein kinase cascades is one facet of how aldosterone regulates renal cell growth. These cascades may also contribute to myofibroblastic transformation and cell proliferation observed in pathological conditions of the kidney. Polycystic kidney disease is a genetic disorder that is accelerated by hypertension. EGFR-dependent proliferation of the renal epithelium is a factor in cyst development and trans-activation of EGFR is a key feature in initiating aldosterone-induced signalling cascades. Delineating the components of aldosterone-induced signalling cascades may identify novel therapeutic targets for proliferative diseases of the kidney.
- Global upregulation of gene expression associated with renal dysfunction in DOCA-salt-induced hypertensive rats occurs via signaling cascades involving epidermal growth factor receptor: a microarray analysis.
- Authors: Benter IF, Canatan H, Benboubetra M, Yousif MH, Akhtar S
- Issue date: 2009 Aug-Sep
- Aldosterone-stimulated PKC signalling cascades: from receptor to effector.
- Authors: Thomas W, McEneaney V, Harvey BJ
- Issue date: 2007 Nov
- Aldosterone-induced EGFR expression: interaction between the human mineralocorticoid receptor and the human EGFR promoter.
- Authors: Grossmann C, Krug AW, Freudinger R, Mildenberger S, Voelker K, Gekle M
- Issue date: 2007 Jun
- Aldosterone regulates cellular turnover and mitogen-activated protein kinase family expression in the neonatal rat kidney.
- Authors: Yim HE, Yoo KH, Bae IS, Jang GY, Hong YS, Lee JW
- Issue date: 2009 Jun
- Epidermal growth factor receptor in cultured human retinal pigment epithelial cells.
- Authors: Yan F, Hui YN, Li YJ, Guo CM, Meng H
- Issue date: 2007