AuthorsChotirmall, S H
Mann, A K
Lyons, A M
Flynn, M G
O'Neill, S J
McElvaney, N G
AffiliationRespiratory Research Division, Education & Research Centre, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin. firstname.lastname@example.org
Health Knowledge, Attitudes, Practice
MetadataShow full item record
CitationMale fertility in cystic fibrosis., 102 (7):204-6 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractInfertility rates among males with cystic fibrosis (CF) approximate 97%. No information is currently available within Ireland determining an understanding of fertility issues and the best methods of information provision to this specialized group. This study aimed to determine understanding and preferred approaches to information provision on fertility issues to Irish CF males. A Descriptive Study utilizing prospective coded questionnaires was mailed to a male CF cohort (n=50). Sections included demographics, fertility knowledge & investigation. Response rate was 16/50 (32%). All were aware that CF affected their fertility. More than two-thirds (n=11) were able to provide explanations whilst only one-third (n=5) provided the correct explanation. Significant numbers stated thoughts of marriage and a future family. Half have discussed fertility with a healthcare professional (HCP). Mean age of discussion was 21.9 years. One third preferred an earlier discussion. The commonest first source for information was written material which was also the preferred source. Three-quarters requested further information preferring again, written material. Significant gaps in sex education of Irish CF males exist. Discussion should be initiated by HCPs and centre-directed written material devised to address deficiencies.
- A survey of sexual and reproductive health in men with cystic fibrosis: new challenges for adolescent and adult services.
- Authors: Sawyer SM, Farrant B, Cerritelli B, Wilson J
- Issue date: 2005 Apr
- Perspectives of patients with cystic fibrosis on preventive counseling and transition to adult care.
- Authors: Zack J, Jacobs CP, Keenan PM, Harney K, Woods ER, Colin AA, Emans SJ
- Issue date: 2003 Nov
- Questionnaire survey of male infertility in cystic fibrosis.
- Authors: Rodgers HC, Baldwin DR, Knox AJ
- Issue date: 2000 Oct
- Knowledge, interests and educational needs of adults diagnosed with cystic fibrosis after age 18.
- Authors: Widerman E
- Issue date: 2003 Jun
- Reproductive health in young women with cystic fibrosis: knowledge, behavior and attitudes.
- Authors: Sawyer SM, Phelan PD, Bowes G
- Issue date: 1995 Jul