Male lupus: a diagnosis often delayed--a case series and review of the literature.
AffiliationRheumatology Department, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, Ireland. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
CitationMale lupus: a diagnosis often delayed--a case series and review of the literature. 2011, 180 (1):279-82 Ir J Med Sci
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractSystemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) is an auto-immune disease that is characterised by autoantibody production. Male lupus is rare, apart from at either end of the age spectrum.
In this series, we review the histories of six male lupus patients attending our service.
Our patients presented in middle age and tended to develop haematological abnormalities, renal involvement and neurological manifestations which preceded the onset of their skin and joint complaints. Our patients accrued damage rapidly and overall did badly. They tended to respond sub-optimally to standard treatments. These cases highlight the need an increased awareness that male SLE patients present with a wide variety of symptoms, and that they accrue damage quickly. There is a need for timely diagnosis and appropriate initiation of treatment. This may help avoid preventable organ damage and increase the survival of men with SLE.
- Rowell Syndrome in Nigeria: Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Presenting as Recurrent Erythema Multiforme in a Young Woman.
- Authors: Akintayo RO, Olarinoye GM, Akintayo FC, Ilesanmi ON
- Issue date: 2019 Sep
- Invasive fungal infection in systemic lupus erythematosus: an analysis of 15 cases and a literature review.
- Authors: Chen HS, Tsai WP, Leu HS, Ho HH, Liou LB
- Issue date: 2007 Mar
- Restrictive Use of Oral Glucocorticoids in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus and Prevention of Damage Without Worsening Long-Term Disease Control: An Observational Study.
- Authors: Ruiz-Arruza I, Lozano J, Cabezas-Rodriguez I, Medina JA, Ugarte A, Erdozain JG, Ruiz-Irastorza G
- Issue date: 2018 Apr
- Pulmonary hypertension on systemic sclerosis-lupus erythematosus overlap syndrome.
- Authors: Rachdi I, Tougorti M, Daoud F, Aydi Z, Zoubeidi H, Ben Dhaou B, Boussema F
- Issue date: 2019 Oct
- A case of late-onset systemic lupus erythematosus with severe anemia.
- Authors: Matsumoto M, Kaieda S, Honda S, Ida H, Hoshino T, Fukuda T
- Issue date: 2013