Olfactory receptor signaling is regulated by the post-synaptic density 95, Drosophila discs large, zona-occludens 1 (PDZ) scaffold multi-PDZ domain protein 1.
AffiliationMolecular Medicine Lab RCSI, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, Republic of Ireland.
Olfactory Receptor Neurons
MetadataShow full item record
CitationOlfactory receptor signaling is regulated by the post-synaptic density 95, Drosophila discs large, zona-occludens 1 (PDZ) scaffold multi-PDZ domain protein 1. 2009, 276 (24):7279-90 FEBS J.
JournalThe FEBS journal
AbstractThe unique ability of mammals to detect and discriminate between thousands of different odorant molecules is governed by the diverse array of olfactory receptors expressed by olfactory sensory neurons in the nasal epithelium. Olfactory receptors consist of seven transmembrane domain G protein-coupled receptors and comprise the largest gene superfamily in the mammalian genome. We found that approximately 30% of olfactory receptors possess a classical post-synaptic density 95, Drosophila discs large, zona-occludens 1 (PDZ) domain binding motif in their C-termini. PDZ domains have been established as sites for protein-protein interaction and play a central role in organizing diverse cell signaling assemblies. In the present study, we show that multi-PDZ domain protein 1 (MUPP1) is expressed in the apical compartment of olfactory sensory neurons. Furthermore, on heterologous co-expression with olfactory sensory neurons, MUPP1 was shown to translocate to the plasma membrane. We found direct interaction of PDZ domains 1 + 2 of MUPP1 with the C-terminus of olfactory receptors in vitro. Moreover, the odorant-elicited calcium response of OR2AG1 showed a prolonged decay in MUPP1 small interfering RNA-treated cells. We have therefore elucidated the first building blocks of the putative 'olfactosome', brought together by the scaffolding protein MUPP1, a possible central nucleator of the olfactory response.
- Biochemical Large-Scale Interaction Analysis of Murine Olfactory Receptors and Associated Signaling Proteins with Post-Synaptic Density 95, Drosophila Discs Large, Zona-Occludens 1 (PDZ) Domains.
- Authors: Jansen F, Kalbe B, Scholz P, Fränzel B, Osterloh M, Wolters D, Hatt H, Neuhaus EM, Osterloh S
- Issue date: 2015 Aug
- The scaffold protein MUPP1 regulates odorant-mediated signaling in olfactory sensory neurons.
- Authors: Baumgart S, Jansen F, Bintig W, Kalbe B, Herrmann C, Klumpers F, Köster SD, Scholz P, Rasche S, Dooley R, Metzler-Nolte N, Spehr M, Hatt H, Neuhaus EM
- Issue date: 2014 Jun 1
- Neuronal cell-surface protein neurexin 1 interaction with multi-PDZ domain protein MUPP1.
- Authors: Jang WH, Choi SH, Jeong JY, Park JH, Kim SJ, Seog DH
- Issue date: 2014
- The multi PDZ domain protein MUPP1 as a putative scaffolding protein for organizing signaling complexes in the acrosome of mammalian spermatozoa.
- Authors: Heydecke D, Meyer D, Ackermann F, Wilhelm B, Gudermann T, Boekhoff I
- Issue date: 2006 May-Jun
- The neuronal RhoA GEF, Tech, interacts with the synaptic multi-PDZ-domain-containing protein, MUPP1.
- Authors: Estévez MA, Henderson JA, Ahn D, Zhu XR, Poschmann G, Lübbert H, Marx R, Baraban JM
- Issue date: 2008 Aug