Necrotizing otitis externa: a new trend? Report of 6 atypical cases.
AffiliationDepartment of Otorhinolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin 9, Ireland. email@example.com
Severity of Illness Index
MetadataShow full item record
CitationNecrotizing otitis externa: a new trend? Report of 6 atypical cases. 2009, 88 (12):1261-3 Ear Nose Throat J
JournalEar, nose, & throat journal
AbstractNecrotizing otitis externa (OE) is traditionally seen in elderly diabetics and immunocompromised patients. During a 7-year period at our institution, we treated 6 patients with necrotizing OE who were not diabetic, who were not immunocompromised, and who were relatively young (age range: 27 to 65 yr; mean: 42.8). The necrotizing OE in these patients was less aggressive but just as severe as its usual presentation in older diabetic or immunocompromised patients. All 6 patients had evidence of bony erosion on computed tomography of the temporal bones, although 4 had negative findings on technetium-99m scintigraphy. Four of the 6 patients required mastoid exploration and fascia lata grafting, and the other 2 chose to undergo extensive daily microdebridements and intravenous antibiotics followed by 6 weeks of oral antibiotics. We recommend that a diagnosis of necrotizing OE be kept in mind when evaluating any patient who presents with severe otalgia, particularly in the presence of Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection of the external auditory canal, edema, granulation tissue, and bony erosion.
- Necrotizing (malignant) external otitis.
- Authors: Handzel O, Halperin D
- Issue date: 2003 Jul 15
- Necrotizing external otitis: a report of 46 cases.
- Authors: Franco-Vidal V, Blanchet H, Bebear C, Dutronc H, Darrouzet V
- Issue date: 2007 Sep
- Differential diagnosis and treatments of necrotizing otitis externa: a report of 19 cases.
- Authors: Chen YA, Chan KC, Chen CK, Wu CM
- Issue date: 2011 Dec
- Progressive necrotizing otitis. Malignant external otitis.
- Authors: Cohn AM
- Issue date: 1974 Feb
- [Value of TC99m-Nanocolloid spect in diagnosis and follow-up of necrotizing external otitis].
- Authors: Comacchio F, D'Eredità R, Bison E, Chierichetti F, Ferlin G, Marchiori C
- Issue date: 1993 Nov-Dec