Spread of community-acquired meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus skin and soft-tissue infection within a family: implications for antibiotic therapy and prevention.
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Microbiology, Beaumont Hospital, PO Box 1297, Beaumont Road, Dublin 8, Ireland.
Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus
Skin Diseases, Bacterial
Soft Tissue Infections
MetadataShow full item record
CitationSpread of community-acquired meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus skin and soft-tissue infection within a family: implications for antibiotic therapy and prevention. 2010, 59 (Pt 4):489-92 J. Med. Microbiol.
JournalJournal of medical microbiology
AbstractOutbreaks or clusters of community-acquired meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (CA-MRSA) within families have been reported. We describe a family cluster of CA-MRSA skin and soft-tissue infection where CA-MRSA was suspected because of recurrent infections which failed to respond to flucloxacillin. While the prevalence of CA-MRSA is low worldwide, CA-MRSA should be considered in certain circumstances depending on clinical presentation and risk assessment. Surveillance cultures of family contacts of patients with MRSA should be considered to help establish the prevalence of CA-MRSA and to inform the optimal choice of empiric antibiotic treatment.
- Community-acquired MRSA infections in North Carolina children: prevalence, antibiotic sensitivities, and risk factors.
- Authors: Shapiro A, Raman S, Johnson M, Piehl M
- Issue date: 2009 Mar-Apr
- The role of antimicrobial therapy for treatment of uncomplicated skin and soft tissue infections from community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in children.
- Authors: Teng CS, Lo WT, Wang SR, Tseng MH, Chu ML, Wang CC
- Issue date: 2009 Aug
- Diagnostic and therapeutic evaluation of community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA) skin and soft tissue infections in the emergency department.
- Authors: Walraven CJ, Lingenfelter E, Rollo J, Madsen T, Alexander DP
- Issue date: 2012 Apr
- Emergence of community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus USA 300 clone as the predominant cause of skin and soft-tissue infections.
- Authors: King MD, Humphrey BJ, Wang YF, Kourbatova EV, Ray SM, Blumberg HM
- Issue date: 2006 Mar 7
- Management and outcome of children with skin and soft tissue abscesses caused by community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.
- Authors: Lee MC, Rios AM, Aten MF, Mejias A, Cavuoti D, McCracken GH Jr, Hardy RD
- Issue date: 2004 Feb