Preparing students to be doctors: introduction of a sub-internship program.
AffiliationDepartment of Surgery, RCSI, Beaumont Hospital, Beaumont, Dublin. firstname.lastname@example.org
Education, Medical, Undergraduate
MetadataShow full item record
CitationPreparing students to be doctors: introduction of a sub-internship program., 102 (10):323-6 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractPreparing graduates for the transformation from medical student to doctor provides medical schools with a real challenge. Medical educators advocate a process of graduated delegation of responsibility in the clinical years of medical school. This is best exemplified in the North American system of sub-internship programmes; an educational approach which European medical schools have been slow to adopt. This study reports on the introduction of an intensive two-week surgical sub-internship for final medical year students. "Sub-interns" were asked to complete pre and post sub-internship online questionnaires assessing their readiness to perform clinical and practical skills, attitudes towards the program, and how well it prepared students for internship. Forty-nine students completed a questionnaire pre sub-internship and 47 completed the post-questionnaire. Student confidence towards practical and clinical skills and their first day at work increased over the two weeks. Mean Iikert scores for all 6 practical and clinical skills improved post sub-internship. The introduction of a surgical sub-internship is timely and welcomed by medical students. Its development helps bridge the gap in responsibilities between medical student and doctor.
- A surgical skills elective can improve student confidence prior to internship.
- Authors: Peyre SE, Peyre CG, Sullivan ME, Towfigh S
- Issue date: 2006 Jun 1
- The effect and durability of a pregraduation boot cAMP on the confidence of senior medical student entering surgical residencies.
- Authors: Okusanya OT, Kornfield ZN, Reinke CE, Morris JB, Sarani B, Williams NN, Kelz RR
- Issue date: 2012 Jul-Aug
- Accelerated skills preparation and assessment for senior medical students entering surgical internship.
- Authors: Brunt LM, Halpin VJ, Klingensmith ME, Tiemann D, Matthews BD, Spitler JA, Pierce RA
- Issue date: 2008 May
- Rural internships for final year students: clinical experience, education and workforce.
- Authors: Sen Gupta TK, Muray RB, McDonell A, Murphy B, Underhill AD
- Issue date: 2008 Jan-Mar
- Learning intimate examinations with simulated patients: the evaluation of medical students' performance.
- Authors: Hendrickx K, De Winter B, Tjalma W, Avonts D, Peeraer G, Wyndaele JJ
- Issue date: 2009 Apr