Intra-aortic mural thrombosis and splenic infarction in association with ulcerative colitis.
AffiliationDepartment of Gastroenterology, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin 9, Ireland, firstname.lastname@example.org.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIntra-aortic mural thrombosis and splenic infarction in association with ulcerative colitis. 2010: Ir J Med Sci
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractBACKGROUND: Arterial thrombosis is a very rare, but recognised complication of inflammatory bowel disease that can result in significant morbidity and mortality. CASE PRESENTATION: We present the case of a 48-year-old female with previously well-controlled ulcerative colitis who presented with severe left upper quadrant abdominal pain. Imaging investigations subsequently revealed a large intra-aortic mural thrombus extending into the coeliac axis complicated by splenic infarction. This occurred in the absence of other prothrombotic states such as thrombophilias or vasculitis. CONCLUSION: This case highlights the frequently overlooked association between inflammatory bowel disease and arterial thrombosis.
Item TypeArticle In Press
- Splenic infarction caused by a large thoracic aortic thrombus.
- Authors: Agolini SF, Shah KT, Goodreau JJ, McLoughlin TM Jr, Sinclair MC
- Issue date: 1997 Dec
- Surgical treatment for thoracoabdominal intra-aortic thrombus with multiple infarctions: a case report.
- Authors: Uchida K, Hosono M, Shibata T, Kaku D, Yamamoto T, Terada T, Shinyama N, Mizobata Y
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 10
- Multiple aortic thrombosis successfully treated using pharmacotherapy.
- Authors: Hachiya K, Sugiura T, Dohi Y, Ohte N
- Issue date: 2013
- Aortic thrombosis and ulcerative colitis.
- Authors: Szychta P, Reix T, Sevestre MA, Brazier F, Pietri J
- Issue date: 2001 May
- Anticoagulation Alone for Aortic Segment Treatment in Symptomatic Primary Aortic Mural Thrombus Patients.
- Authors: Reyes Valdivia A, Duque Santos A, Garnica Ureña M, Romero Lozano A, Aracil Sanus E, Ocaña Guaita J, Gandaria C
- Issue date: 2017 Aug