Efficacy and safety of colonic stenting for malignant disease in the elderly.
Harewood, Gavin C
Murray, Frank E
Patchett, Stephen E
AffiliationDepartment of Gastroenterology, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, Ireland. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEfficacy and safety of colonic stenting for malignant disease in the elderly. 2010, 25 (6):747-50 Int J Colorectal Dis
JournalInternational journal of colorectal disease
AbstractSelf-expandable metal stents (SEMS) are an accepted palliation for malignant colorectal obstruction. Outcomes of stent insertion solely in older patients are unknown.
To compare outcomes of SEMS insertion for malignant colorectal disease, in older versus younger patients.
Forty-three patients were retrospectively identified as having undergone SEMS insertion for obstructing colorectal cancer. Of these, 24 were > or = 70 years of age (older patient group) and 19 were <70 years of age (younger patient group).
There was no significant difference in successful SEMS insertion between the groups (88% in older versus 100% in younger patients, p > 0.05). Furthermore, the complication rate was similar in both groups (12.5% versus 26%, p > 0.10). There was no difference in median survival (113 days versus 135 days, p > 0.09).
Colorectal stenting for malignant disease in older patients is both safe and effective with comparative success and complication rates to a younger population.
- Endoscopic placement of self-expandable metal stents for malignant colonic obstruction: long-term outcomes and complication factors.
- Authors: Small AJ, Coelho-Prabhu N, Baron TH
- Issue date: 2010 Mar
- Endoscopic stenting is not as effective for palliation of colorectal obstruction in patients with advanced gastric cancer as emergency surgery.
- Authors: Kim BK, Hong SP, Heo HM, Kim JY, Hur H, Lee KY, Cheon JH, Kim TI, Kim WH
- Issue date: 2012 Feb
- Bowel function following insertion of self-expanding metallic stents for palliation of colorectal cancer.
- Authors: Davies RJ, D'Sa IB, Lucarotti ME, Fowler AL, Tottle A, Birch P, Cook TA
- Issue date: 2005 May
- Self-expandable metal stent for malignant colonic obstruction: outcome in proximal vs. left sided tumor localization.
- Authors: Tal AO, Friedrich-Rust M, Bechstein WO, Woeste G, Trojan J, Zeuzem S, Sarrazin C, Albert JG
- Issue date: 2013 Jun
- Palliative colonic stenting: a safe alternative to surgery in stage IV colorectal cancer.
- Authors: Finlayson A, Hulme-Moir M
- Issue date: 2016 Oct