Felbamate in an adult population with severe refractory epilepsy.
AffiliationDepartment of Neurology, Beaumont Hospital, Beaumont, Dublin. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
CitationFelbamate in an adult population with severe refractory epilepsy., 102 (10):326-8 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractFelbamate (FBM) is efficacious in treating patients with refractory epilepsy but was withdrawn due to cases of aplastic anaemia, hepatic failure and five reported deaths. FBM is currently used in specialist centres and is only being used in one Irish centre to date. This papers aim is to review the efficacy and safety experience of FBM in Irish adult patients with refractory epilepsy. A retrospective chart review was done on patients' medical records. Patients were subdivided into responders and non responders based on change in seizure frequency and side effects were recorded for all. Of the 13 patients on FBM nine patients responded to FBM, four patients did not. FBM is a safe and efficacious alternative in an Irish adult population with refractory epilepsy. However close monitoring is still required given the potential fatal side effects that are possible with this anticonvulsant.
- Evaluating the safety and efficacy of felbamate in the context of a black box warning: A single center experience.
- Authors: Shah YD, Singh K, Friedman D, Devinsky O, Kothare SV
- Issue date: 2016 Mar
- Efficacy and safety of felbamate in children under 4 years of age: a retrospective chart review.
- Authors: Grosso S, Cordelli DM, Coppola G, Franzoni E, Verrotti A, Berardi R, Balestri P
- Issue date: 2008 Sep
- Authors: Leppik IE
- Issue date: 1995
- [Therapeutic drug monitoring of felbamate].
- Authors: Tribut O, Bentué-Ferrer D, Verdier MC, le groupe Suivi Thérapeutique Pharmacologique de la Société Française de Pharmacologie et de Thérapeutique
- Issue date: 2010 Jan-Feb
- Efficacy and safety of felbamate in children with refractory epilepsy.
- Authors: Heyman E, Levin N, Lahat E, Epstein O, Gandelman-Marton R
- Issue date: 2014 Nov