Encapsulating peritoneal sclerosis: experience of a tertiary referral center.
AuthorsPhelan, P J
Walshe, J J
Garvey, J P
Ti, J P
Morrin, M M
Conlon, P J
AffiliationDepartment of Nephrology, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin 9, Ireland. email@example.com
Kidney Failure, Chronic
Peritoneal Dialysis, Continuous Ambulatory
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEncapsulating peritoneal sclerosis: experience of a tertiary referral center. 2010, 32 (4):459-63 Ren Fail
AbstractEncapsulating peritoneal sclerosis (EPS) is arguably the most serious complication of chronic peritoneal dialysis (PD) therapy with extremely high mortality rates. We aimed to establish the rates of EPS and factors associated with its development in a single center.
We retrospectively reviewed the records of all our PD patients from 1 January 1989 until 31 December 2008. All suspected cases were confirmed at laparotomy. Multifactorial models adjusted for potentially confounding variables such as age and sex.
Eleven cases of EPS were identified giving a prevalence rate of 1.98%. Median duration on PD was substantially longer in affected versus unaffected patients (42.5 months versus 13.8 months; p = 0.0002). EPS patients had experienced a mean of 3.54 previous cases of peritonitis (1 infection per year versus 0.71 per year in unaffected patients; p = 0.075). Six patients died (54.5%) due to intra-abdominal sepsis including all five who presented with small bowel obstruction. Three patients had an omentectomy and adhesiolysis performed with a successful outcome.
Our study reinforces the link between duration on PD and EPS. While mortality was high in our cohort, emerging surgical techniques demonstrate a favorable outcome that can be achieved even in severely affected cases.
- Encapsulating peritoneal sclerosis in children on chronic PD: a survey from the European Paediatric Dialysis Working Group.
- Authors: Shroff R, Stefanidis CJ, Askiti V, Edefonti A, Testa S, Ekim M, Kavaz A, Ariceta G, Bakkaloglu S, Fischbach M, Klaus G, Zurowska A, Holtta T, Jankauskiene A, Vondrak K, Vande Walle J, Schmitt CP, Watson AR, European Paediatric Dialysis Working Group.
- Issue date: 2013 Jul
- The Pan-Thames EPS study: treatment and outcomes of encapsulating peritoneal sclerosis.
- Authors: Balasubramaniam G, Brown EA, Davenport A, Cairns H, Cooper B, Fan SL, Farrington K, Gallagher H, Harnett P, Krausze S, Steddon S
- Issue date: 2009 Oct
- Posttransplantation encapsulating peritoneal sclerosis contributes significantly to mortality after kidney transplantation.
- Authors: Korte MR, Habib SM, Lingsma H, Weimar W, Betjes MG
- Issue date: 2011 Mar
- Lower mortality and inflammation from post-transplantation encapsulating peritoneal sclerosis compared to the classical form.
- Authors: Habib SM, Korte MR, Betjes MG
- Issue date: 2013
- Encapsulating peritoneal sclerosis - a 5 year experience.
- Authors: Spence R, Gillespie S, Loughrey M, Gardiner K
- Issue date: 2013 Jan