The impact of peritransplant warfarin use on renal transplant outcome.
AuthorsConnaughton, Dervla M
Phelan, Paul J
Walshe, Joseph J
Conlon, Peter J
AffiliationDepartment of Nephrology, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationThe impact of peritransplant warfarin use on renal transplant outcome., 23 (5):587-92 J. Nephrol.
JournalJournal of nephrology
AbstractThe unplanned nature of kidney transplantation necessitates that patients undergo surgery without prior cessation of warfarin. Our study analyses the impact of warfarin treatment in the peritransplant period on graft outcome and perioperative transfusion requirements.
We identified 31 patients undergoing deceased donor kidney transplantation who were concurrently receiving warfarin therapy, between 2000 and 2008. A random, sex-matched, adult, deceased donor control group of 62 patients was generated from the Irish transplant database.
The warfarin group were older (mean 47.5 vs. 42.5 years, p=0.067) and had spent longer on dialysis prior to transplantation (mean 3.5 vs. 2.1 years, p=0.004). Graft survival in the warfarin group was not significantly different at 1-, 3- and 5-year follow-ups. There was no statistically significant difference in red blood cell transfusions between the groups (45% vs. 29%, p=0.2). Warfarin patients had a prolonged mean cold ischaemia time (22.3 vs. 18.5 hours, p=0.002).
This study demonstrates excellent short- and long-term results for kidney transplantation in patients requiring warfarin at the time of transplantation.
- Predictors of warfarin use in atrial fibrillation patients in the inpatient setting.
- Authors: Agarwal S, Bennett D, Smith DJ
- Issue date: 2010
- Robotic-assisted radical prostatectomy in patients receiving chronic anticoagulation therapy: role of perioperative bridging.
- Authors: Krane LS, Laungani R, Satyanarayana R, Kaul S, Bhandari M, Peabody JO, Menon M
- Issue date: 2008 Dec
- Preoperative warfarin treatment and outcome of coronary artery bypass graft surgery.
- Authors: Biancari F, Myllylä M, Lepojärvi S, Kuttila K, Porela P, Laitio T, Ylitalo A, Jokinen V, Luokkala A, Airaksinen KE
- Issue date: 2010 Apr
- Risk of thromboembolism with short-term interruption of warfarin therapy.
- Authors: Garcia DA, Regan S, Henault LE, Upadhyay A, Baker J, Othman M, Hylek EM
- Issue date: 2008 Jan 14
- Long-term clinical outcomes of nocturnal hemodialysis patients compared with conventional hemodialysis patients post-renal transplantation.
- Authors: Pauly RP, Asad RA, Hanley JA, Pierratos A, Zaltzman J, Chery A, Chan CT
- Issue date: 2009 Jan-Feb