What do gastroenterology trainees want: recognition, remuneration or recreation?
AffiliationDepartment of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, Ireland, firstname.lastname@example.org.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationWhat do gastroenterology trainees want: recognition, remuneration or recreation? 2010: Ir J Med Sci
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractBACKGROUND: Occupational psychologists have identified three factors important in motivating physicians: financial reward, academic recognition, time off. AIM: To assess motivators among gastroenterology (GI) trainees. METHODS: A questionnaire was distributed to GI trainees to assess their motivators: (1) work fewer hours for less lucrative rate, (2) reduction in salary/increase in hours for academic protected time, and (3) work longer hours for higher total salary, but less lucrative hourly rate. RESULTS: Overall, 61 trainees responded; 52% of trainees would work shorter hours for less lucrative rate; 60% would accept a disproportionate reduction in salary/increase in hours for academic protected time; 54% would work longer hours for more money but less lucrative rate. Most trainees (93%) accepted at least one scenario. CONCLUSIONS: Most GI trainees are willing to modify their job description to align with their personal values. Tailoring job descriptions according to these values can yield economic benefits to GI Divisions.
Item TypeArticle In Press
- Career Goals, Salary Expectations, and Salary Negotiation Among Male and Female General Surgery Residents.
- Authors: Gray K, Neville A, Kaji AH, Wolfe M, Calhoun K, Amersi F, Donahue T, Arnell T, Jarman B, Inaba K, Melcher M, Morris JB, Smith B, Reeves M, Gauvin J, Salcedo ES, Sidwell R, Murayama K, Damewood R, Poola VP, Dent D, de Virgilio C
- Issue date: 2019 Nov 1
- Attitudes and expectations of 1995 gastroenterology graduates about gastroenterology.
- Authors: McCashland TM, Zetterman RK, Ruby EI, McCashland CR, Wigton RS
- Issue date: 1996 Oct
- The Society for Academic Emergency Medicine and Association of Academic Chairs in Emergency Medicine 2009-2010 emergency medicine faculty salary and benefits survey.
- Authors: Watts SH, Promes SB, Hockberger R
- Issue date: 2012 Jul
- Analysis Of Level Of Satisfaction Of Postgraduate Trainees On Surgical Floor.
- Authors: Hameed T, Zia N, Khan HS, Zia A, Ahmed R, Hameed A, Ahmed M, Khan AQ
- Issue date: 2019 Apr-Jun
- To which countries do European psychiatric trainees want to move to and why?
- Authors: Pinto da Costa M, Giurgiuca A, Holmes K, Biskup E, Mogren T, Tomori S, Kilic O, Banjac V, Molina-Ruiz R, Palumbo C, Frydecka D, Kaaja J, El-Higaya E, Kanellopoulos A, Amit BH, Madissoon D, Andreou E, Uleviciute-Belena I, Rakos I, Dragasek J, Feffer K, Farrugia M, Mitkovic-Voncina M, Gargot T, Baessler F, Pantovic-Stefanovic M, De Picker L
- Issue date: 2017 Sep