Approach to biliary imaging amongst consultant and specialist registrars in gastroenterology in a national setting.
AffiliationDepartment of Gastroenterology, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, Ireland.
Biliary Tract Diseases
Cholangiopancreatography, Endoscopic Retrograde
Cholangiopancreatography, Magnetic Resonance
Physician's Practice Patterns
Referral and Consultation
Tomography, X-Ray Computed
MetadataShow full item record
CitationApproach to biliary imaging amongst consultant and specialist registrars in gastroenterology in a national setting. 2010, 179 (4):539-43 Ir J Med Sci
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractRadiological investigation plays an important role in the management of conditions affecting the hepatobiliary system. However, multiple imaging modalities exist and inappropriate requesting can lead to delays in diagnosis and subsequent treatment.
To assess the approach to biliary imaging amongst Irish gastroenterologists across a number of scenarios, and examine and seek to explain any variations.
A survey to determine "best practice" radiological investigation of real-life clinical scenarios was designed and distributed to fully trained and trainee gastroenterologists nationally.
The responses to scenarios ranged from near unanimity, with up to 97% agreement, to notable lack of consensus amongst both registrars and consultants.
An algorithm for the management of hepatobiliary disease was formulated.
- Biliary, pancreatic, and hepatic imaging for the general surgeon.
- Authors: Reitz S, Slam K, Chambers LW
- Issue date: 2011 Feb
- Noninvasive Imaging of the Biliary Tree for the Interventional Radiologist.
- Authors: Feldman MK, Coppa CP
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- Imaging hepatobiliary disease in children.
- Authors: Lowe LH
- Issue date: 2008 Jan
- Knowledge of the indications for endoscopic ultrasound (EUS) among gastroenterologists and non-gastroenterologists.
- Authors: Byrne S, Clarke E, Lennon J, MacMathuna P, Coss A, O'Donovan D, Harewood G
- Issue date: 2009 Feb
- MRCP in patient care: a prospective survey of gastroenterologists.
- Authors: Akisik MF, Jennings SG, Aisen AM, Sherman S, Cote GA, Sandrasegaran K, Tirkes T
- Issue date: 2013 Sep