Nanotechnology and its Relationship to Interventional Radiology. Part II: Drug Delivery, Thermotherapy, and Vascular Intervention.
AffiliationDepartment of Radiology, Beaumont Hospital, Beaumont Road, PO Box 1297, Dublin 9, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationNanotechnology and its Relationship to Interventional Radiology. Part II: Drug Delivery, Thermotherapy, and Vascular Intervention. 2010: Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol
JournalCardiovascular and interventional radiology
AbstractNanotechnology can be defined as the design, creation, and manipulation of structures on the nanometer scale. This two-part review is intended to acquaint the interventionalist with the field of nanotechnology, and provide an overview of potential applications, while highlighting advances relevant to interventional radiology. Part 2 of the article concentrates on drug delivery, thermotherapy, and vascular intervention. In oncology, advances in drug delivery allow for improved efficacy, decreased toxicity, and greater potential for targeted therapy. Magnetic nanoparticles show potential for use in thermotherapy treatments of various tumours, and the effectiveness of radiofrequency ablation can be enhanced with nanoparticle chemotherapy agents. In vascular intervention, much work is focused on prevention of restenosis through developments in stent technology and systems for localised drug delivery to vessel walls. Further areas of interest include applications for thrombolysis and haemostasis.
Item TypeArticle In Press
- Nanotechnology and its relationship to interventional radiology. Part I: imaging.
- Authors: Power S, Slattery MM, Lee MJ
- Issue date: 2011 Apr
- Nanotechnology development and utilization: a primer for diagnostic and interventional radiologists.
- Authors: Monsky WL, Vien DS, Link DP
- Issue date: 2011 Sep-Oct
- Augmentation of targeted delivery with pulsed high intensity focused ultrasound.
- Authors: O'Neill BE, Li KC
- Issue date: 2008 Sep
- Promising approaches in using magnetic nanoparticles in oncology.
- Authors: Mikhaylov G, Vasiljeva O
- Issue date: 2011 Nov
- Thermal scalpel to target cancer.
- Authors: Everts M
- Issue date: 2007 Mar