Pandemic H1N1 (2009) and renal failure: the experience of the Irish national tertiary referral centre.
AffiliationDepartment of Nephrology, Beaumont Hospital, Beaumont Road, Dublin 9, Ireland. Frankjobrien@physicians.ie
MetadataShow full item record
CitationPandemic H1N1 (2009) and renal failure: the experience of the Irish national tertiary referral centre. 2011, 180 (1):135-8 Ir J Med Sci
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractH1N1 influenza A, was first described in April 2009. A significant cohort of patients from this outbreak developed acute respiratory distress syndrome or pneumonia. H1N1 has since been transmitted across the world. Little has been described on the renal complications of this illness.
A retrospective review of all patients admitted to our institution with H1N1 infection was carried out from July to November 2009. Renal biochemistry, need for renal replacement therapy and hospital outcome was recorded.
Thirty-four patients with H1N1 were admitted. Average length of admission was 10 days (3-84). Eleven patients (32%) developed acute kidney injury (AKI) as defined by the RIFLE criteria (creatinine range 120-610). Four patients required renal replacement therapy, for a range of 10-52 days. Seven patients developed AKI that responded to volume resuscitation. The commonest cause of AKI was sepsis with acute tubular necrosis.
This study highlights the significance and frequency of renal complications associated with this illness.
- High mortality in critically ill patients infected with 2009 pandemic influenza A (H1N1) with pneumonia and acute kidney injury.
- Authors: Kute VB, Godara SM, Goplani KR, Gumber MR, Shah PR, Vanikar AV, Shah VR, Trivedi HL
- Issue date: 2011 Jan
- Acute kidney injury and 2009 H1N1 influenza-related critical illness.
- Authors: Bellomo R, Pettilä V, Webb SAR, Bailey M, Howe B, Seppelt IM
- Issue date: 2010
- Acute kidney injury in critically ill patients infected with 2009 pandemic influenza A(H1N1): report from a Canadian Province.
- Authors: Sood MM, Rigatto C, Zarychanski R, Komenda P, Sood AR, Bueti J, Reslerova M, Roberts D, Mojica J, Kumar A
- Issue date: 2010 May
- Characteristics of acute kidney injury in patients infected with the 2009 influenza A (H1N1) virus.
- Authors: Abdulkader RC, Ho YL, de Sousa Santos S, Caires R, Arantes MF, Andrade L
- Issue date: 2010 Nov
- [Acute kidney injury in critically ill children infected with influenza A virus (H1N1) and enterovirus 71].
- Authors: Li JG, Qu D, Li Y, Wang F, Guo LY, Wang JJ, Cao L, Ren XX
- Issue date: 2011 Nov