Steroid withdrawal in renal transplant patients: the Irish experience.
AffiliationDepartment of Nephrology, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin 9, Ireland, firstname.lastname@example.org.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationSteroid withdrawal in renal transplant patients: the Irish experience. 2010: Ir J Med Sci
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractBACKGROUND: Steroid therapy is associated with significant morbidity in renal transplant recipients. However, there is concern that steroid withdrawal will adversely affect outcome. METHODS: We report on 241 renal transplant recipients on different doses of corticosteroids at 3 months (zero, ≤5 mg/day, >5 mg/day). Parameters analysed included blood pressure, lipid profile, weight change, new onset diabetes after transplantation (NODAT), allograft survival and acute rejection. RESULTS: Elimination of corticosteroids had no impact on allograft survival at 1 year. There were no cases of NODAT in the steroid withdrawal group compared with over 7% in each of the steroid groups. There were no significant improvements in weight gain, blood pressure control or total cholesterol with withdrawal of steroids before 3 months. CONCLUSIONS: In renal transplant patients treated with tacrolimus and mycophenolate, early withdrawal of steroids does not appear to adversely affect allograft outcome at 1 year. It may result in less NODAT.
Item TypeArticle In Press
- Early steroid withdrawal therapy in renal transplant recipients: a steroid-free sirolimus and CellCept-based calcineurin inhibitor-minimization protocol.
- Authors: Jaber JJ, Feustel PJ, Elbahloul O, Conti AD, Gallichio MH, Conti DJ
- Issue date: 2007 Jan-Feb
- Early steroid withdrawal protocol with basiliximab, cyclosporine and mycophenolate mofetil in renal-transplant recipients.
- Authors: Kato Y, Tojimbara T, Iwadoh K, Koyama I, Nanmoku K, Kai K, Sannomiya A, Nakajima I, Fuchinoue S, Teraoka S
- Issue date: 2006 Dec 20
- Tacrolimus-based, steroid-free regimens in renal transplantation: 3-year follow-up of the ATLAS trial.
- Authors: Krämer BK, Klinger M, Vítko Š, Glyda M, Midtvedt K, Stefoni S, Citterio F, Pietruck F, Squifflet JP, Segoloni G, Krüger B, Sperschneider H, Banas B, Bäckman L, Weber M, Carmellini M, Perner F, Claesson K, Marcinkowski W, Ostrowski M, Senatorski G, Nordström J, Salmela K
- Issue date: 2012 Sep 15
- Prospective, randomized trial on late steroid withdrawal in pediatric renal transplant recipients under cyclosporine microemulsion and mycophenolate mofetil.
- Authors: Höcker B, Weber LT, Feneberg R, Drube J, John U, Fehrenbach H, Pohl M, Zimmering M, Fründ S, Klaus G, Wühl E, Tönshoff B
- Issue date: 2009 Mar 27
- New-onset diabetes mellitus in kidney transplant recipients discharged on steroid-free immunosuppression.
- Authors: Luan FL, Steffick DE, Ojo AO
- Issue date: 2011 Feb 15