The utility of 99mTc-sestamibi scintigraphy in the localisation of parathyroid adenomas in primary hyperparathyroidism.
AffiliationDivision of Endocrinology, Beaumont Hospital, RCSI Medical School, Dublin 9, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationThe utility of 99mTc-sestamibi scintigraphy in the localisation of parathyroid adenomas in primary hyperparathyroidism. 2011, 180 (1):191-4 Ir J Med Sci
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractThere are conflicting data in the literature about the sensitivity of sestamibi scintigraphy in parathyroid tumour localisation in primary hyperparathyroidism (PHPT).
We aimed to evaluate the overall sensitivity of this modality in parathyroid tumour localisation and to determine clinical and biochemical factors which influence sensitivity of this method.
We performed a retrospective review of 57 patients with a biochemical diagnosis of PHPT who had sestamibi scintigraphy performed.
The sensitivity of sestamibi scanning was 56% in whole group and 63% in those without nodular thyroid disease. Among the patients with confirmed single gland disease (biochemical cure after surgical removal of a single adenoma), sensitivity was 71%. A positive scan was associated with younger age, greater adenoma weight and higher pre-operative serum calcium. Concordance between the sestamibi and neck ultrasonography was 92% accurate in pre-operative tumour localisation.
Sestamibi scintigraphy was more likely to be positive in younger patients without nodular thyroid disease who have larger parathyroid adenomas with more severe hyperparathyroidism.
- Comparison of hyperparathyroidism types and utility of dual radiopharmaceutical acquisition with Tc99m sestamibi and <sup>123</sup>I for localization of rapid washout parathyroid adenomas.
- Authors: Kushchayeva YS, Tella SH, Kushchayev SV, Van Nostrand D, Kulkarni K
- Issue date: 2019 May
- Clinical utility of ultrasound and 99mTc sestamibi SPECT/CT for preoperative localization of parathyroid adenoma in patients with primary hyperparathyroidism.
- Authors: Patel CN, Salahudeen HM, Lansdown M, Scarsbrook AF
- Issue date: 2010 Apr
- Diagnostic accuracy of 3T magnetic resonance imaging in the preoperative localisation of parathyroid adenomas: comparison with ultrasound and 99mTc-sestamibi scans.
- Authors: Argirò R, Diacinti D, Sacconi B, Iannarelli A, Diacinti D, Cipriani C, Pisani D, Romagnoli E, Biffoni M, Di Gioia C, Pepe J, Bezzi M, Letizia C, Minisola S, Catalano C
- Issue date: 2018 Nov
- [The role of scintigraphy with dual tracer and potassium perchlorate (99mTcO4 & KClO4/ MIBI) in primary hyperparathyroidism].
- Authors: Rubello D, Saladini G, Casara D
- Issue date: 2001 Mar
- Preoperative localization of parathyroid adenoma with sonography and 99mTc-sestamibi scintigraphy in primary hyperparathyroidism.
- Authors: Grosso I, Sargiotto A, D'Amelio P, Tamone C, Gasparri G, De Filippi PG, Picciotto G, Isaia G
- Issue date: 2007 May