Establishment of a paediatric age-related reference interval for the measurement of urinary total fractionated metanephrines.
AffiliationDepartment of Chemical Pathology, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin 9, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEstablishment of a paediatric age-related reference interval for the measurement of urinary total fractionated metanephrines. 2011, 48 (Pt 1):41-4 Ann. Clin. Biochem.
JournalAnnals of clinical biochemistry
AbstractNormetanephrine and metanephrine are intermediate metabolites of noradrenaline and adrenaline metabolism. To assess whether normetanephrine and metanephrine analysis may aid in the diagnosis of Neuroblastoma, a reference interval for these metabolites must first be established.
The overall aim of this study was to establish a paediatric age-related reference interval for the measurement of total fractionated metanephrines.
A total of 267 urine samples were analysed following acid hydrolysis. This releases the metanephrines from their sulphate-bound metabolites. The samples were analysed using reverse phase high-performance liquid chromatography with electro-chemical detection on a Gilson automated sequential trace enrichment of dialysate sample system.
Data were analysed using Minitab Release version 14. Outliers were removed using the Dixon/Reed one-third rule. Partitioning of the age groups was achieved using Harris and Boyd's standard normal deviate test. Non-parametric analysis of the data was performed, followed by the establishment of the 2.5th and the 97.5th reference limits.
The established reference intervals are described in Table 2.
- The diagnostic efficacy of urinary fractionated metanephrines measured by tandem mass spectrometry in detection of pheochromocytoma.
- Authors: Perry CG, Sawka AM, Singh R, Thabane L, Bajnarek J, Young WF Jr
- Issue date: 2007 May
- Methylated catecholamine metabolites for diagnosis of neuroblastoma.
- Authors: Candito M, Thyss A, Albertini M, Deville A, Politano S, Mariani R, Chambon P
- Issue date: 1992
- [Metanephrine (M), normetanephrine (NM) and fractionated metanephrines].
- Authors: Miyoshi T, Tomita K
- Issue date: 2005 Aug
- Age-related medical decision limits for urinary free (unconjugated) metadrenalines, catecholamines and metabolites in random urine specimens from children.
- Authors: Davidson DF, Hammond PJ, Murphy D, Carachi R
- Issue date: 2011 Jul
- Reference intervals for urinary catecholamines and metabolites from birth to adulthood.
- Authors: Pussard E, Neveux M, Guigueno N
- Issue date: 2009 Apr