Tight glycaemic control is a key factor in wound healing enhancement strategies in an experimental diabetes mellitus model.
AffiliationDepartment of Surgery, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
CitationTight glycaemic control is a key factor in wound healing enhancement strategies in an experimental diabetes mellitus model. 2011, 180 (1):229-36 Ir J Med Sci
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractDiabetes mellitus is a leading cause of impaired wound healing. The aim of this study was to establish a glucose-controlled diabetic wound healing model.
Sprague-Dawley rats were divided into three groups: Control group (C), Diabetic Non-glucose Controlled group (DNC) and Diabetic glucose Controlled group (DC).
Glucose control was achieved using Insulman Rapid (average daily glucose level <10 mmol/L). 18 Sprague-Dawley rats underwent a dorsal skin wound incision and 10 days later were killed. Fresh and fixed wound tensile strength, hydroxyproline and transforming growth factor beta-1 levels were improved in the DC group when compared to the DNC group. The quantity of fibroblasts present was similar in each group.
This study demonstrates the impact that diabetes has on acute wound healing and suggests that wound modulating agents must be tested in both the tightly glucose-controlled as well as the poorly glucose-controlled diabetic animal models prior to proceeding with translational clinical studies.
- Wound Healing Delay in the ZDSD Rat.
- Authors: Suckow MA, Gobbett TA, Peterson RG
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 2
- Extracorporeal shock wave treatment improves incisional wound healing in diabetic rats.
- Authors: Yang G, Luo C, Yan X, Cheng L, Chai Y
- Issue date: 2011 Dec
- Transforming growth factor-beta and insulin-like growth factor-I in relation to diabetes-induced impairment of wound healing.
- Authors: Bitar MS, Labbad ZN
- Issue date: 1996 Feb 15
- Topical diphenylhydantoin sodium can improve healing in a diabetic incisional animal wound model.
- Authors: Chan FC, Kennedy C, Hanson RP, O'Sullivan B, Kelly J, Bouchier-Hayes D
- Issue date: 2007 Sep
- Effect of pravastatin on experimental diabetic wound healing.
- Authors: Laing T, Hanson R, Chan F, Bouchier-Hayes D
- Issue date: 2010 Jun 15