Assessment of service delays and impact on bed utilisation in a major teaching hospital.
AffiliationDepartment of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Beaumont Hospital, Hepatology Unit, Dublin, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAssessment of service delays and impact on bed utilisation in a major teaching hospital. 2010:notIr J Med Sci
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractBACKGROUND: Increasing economic pressures coupled with an expanding and ageing population and a hostile economic climate have led to growing interest in the optimisation of bed usage within hospitals. There are many causes for delay in a patient's discharge. METHODS: This prospective observational study assessed consecutive patients admitted and discharged from hospital within a 52-day period for waiting times in the provision of requested diagnostic tests and services. RESULTS: Seventy patients were included in the study. There were median delays of 2 and 3 days for an MRI and colonoscopy, a delay of 3 days for a Holter monitor report, and 9 days for an occupational therapy referral. The median wait for consults was 1 day across all three services. CONCLUSIONS: Significant remediable delays exist during the course of many acute medical admissions. Addressing these factors will enable the provision of a faster and more cost-efficient service.
Item TypeArticle In Press
- Appropriateness of bed usage for inpatients admitted as emergencies to internal medicine services.
- Authors: Armstrong SH, Peden NR, Nimmo S, Alcorn M
- Issue date: 2001 Nov
- Delay in discharge and its impact on unnecessary hospital bed occupancy.
- Authors: Majeed MU, Williams DT, Pollock R, Amir F, Liam M, Foong KS, Whitaker CJ
- Issue date: 2012 Nov 20
- Discharge timeliness and its impact on hospital crowding and emergency department flow performance.
- Authors: Khanna S, Sier D, Boyle J, Zeitz K
- Issue date: 2016 Apr
- The epidemiology of delays in a teaching hospital. The development and use of a tool that detects unnecessary hospital days.
- Authors: Selker HP, Beshansky JR, Pauker SG, Kassirer JP
- Issue date: 1989 Feb
- Use of general practitioner beds in Leicestershire community hospitals.
- Authors: Tomlinson J, Raymond NT, Field D, Botha JL
- Issue date: 1995 Aug