Loss of chromosome 1p/19q in oligodendroglial tumors: refinement of chromosomal critical regions and evaluation of internexin immunostaining as a surrogate marker.
AuthorsBuckley, Patrick G
Stallings, Raymond L
Farrell, Michael A
AffiliationThe Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Cancer Genetics, 2nd Floor York House, York Street, Dublin, Dublin 2, Ireland. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
CitationLoss of chromosome 1p/19q in oligodendroglial tumors: refinement of chromosomal critical regions and evaluation of internexin immunostaining as a surrogate marker. 2011, 70 (3):177-82 J. Neuropathol. Exp. Neurol.
JournalJournal of neuropathology and experimental neurology
AbstractLoss of chromosome 1p/19q in oligodendrogliomas represents a powerful predictor of good prognosis. Expression of internexin (INA), a neuronal specific intermediate filament protein, has recently been proposed as a surrogate marker for 1p/19q deletion based on the high degree of correlation between both parameters in oligodendrogliomas. The aim of this study was to assess further the diagnostic utility of INA expression in a set of genetically well-characterized oligodendrogliomas. On the basis of a conservative approach for copy number determination, using both comparative genomic hybridization and fluorescent in situ hybridization, INA expression as a surrogate marker for 1p/19q loss had both reduced specificity (80%) and sensitivity (79%) compared with respective values of 86% and 96% reported in the previous report. The histologic interpretation and diagnostic value of INA expression in oligodendrogliomas should therefore be assessed with greater caution when compared with 1p/19q DNA copy number analysis. In addition, DNA copy number aberrations of chromosomes 10, 16, and 17 were detected exclusively in 1p/19q codeleted samples, suggesting that other regions of the genome may contribute to the 1p/19q-deleted tumor phenotype inthese samples.
- α-Internexin in the diagnosis of oligodendroglial tumors and association with 1p/19q status.
- Authors: Eigenbrod S, Roeber S, Thon N, Giese A, Krieger A, Grasbon-Frodl E, Egensperger R, Tonn JC, Kreth FW, Kretzschmar HA
- Issue date: 2011 Nov
- Alpha-internexin and altered CIC expression as a supportive diagnostic marker for oligodendroglial tumors with the 1p/19q co-deletion.
- Authors: Nagaishi M, Suzuki A, Nobusawa S, Yokoo H, Nakazato Y
- Issue date: 2014 Oct
- Allelic losses at 1p36 and 19q13 in gliomas: correlation with histologic classification, definition of a 150-kb minimal deleted region on 1p36, and evaluation of CAMTA1 as a candidate tumor suppressor gene.
- Authors: Barbashina V, Salazar P, Holland EC, Rosenblum MK, Ladanyi M
- Issue date: 2005 Feb 1
- Is the 1p/19q deletion a diagnostic marker of oligodendrogliomas?
- Authors: Gadji M, Fortin D, Tsanaclis AM, Drouin R
- Issue date: 2009 Oct
- Alpha internexin expression related with molecular characteristics in adult glioblastoma and oligodendroglioma.
- Authors: Suh JH, Park CK, Park SH
- Issue date: 2013 Apr