How well are European Society of Cardiology (ESC) guidelines adhered to in patients with syncope?
AffiliationFalls & Blackout Unit, St James's Hospital, James's St, Dublin 8. firstname.lastname@example.org
Aged, 80 and over
Practice Guidelines as Topic
Referral and Consultation
MetadataShow full item record
CitationHow well are European Society of Cardiology (ESC) guidelines adhered to in patients with syncope? 2010, 103 (1):11-4 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractThe ESC guidelines on syncope were published in 2001 and updated in 2004. Adherence to the recommendations enables early stratification of low and high risk patients and prevents unnecessary investigations and admissions. Vasovagal syncope (VVS) is the commonest cause of syncope in all age groups and a low risk condition. The study objective was to determine whether the ESC guidelines were adhered to prior to referral to a syncope unit; 100 consecutive patients with unexplained syncope (52 +/- 23 (15-91) years); 53 female. Sixty-six patients had VVS. Forty nine (75%) of patients with VVS had undergone unnecessary investigations prior to diagnosis and 31 (47%) were admitted to hospital for investigation. Research from other countries confirms that adherence to the ESC guidelines expediates accurate diagnosis, improves resource utilization and reduces health care cost. Greater awareness amongst Irish practitioners of guidelines may improve syncope management and reduce costs.
- Management of syncope in the Emergency Department: a single hospital observational case series based on the application of European Society of Cardiology Guidelines.
- Authors: McCarthy F, McMahon CG, Geary U, Plunkett PK, Kenny RA, Cunningham CJ, European Society of Cardiology.
- Issue date: 2009 Feb
- Hospital admission of patients referred to the Emergency Department for syncope: a single-hospital prospective study based on the application of the European Society of Cardiology Guidelines on syncope.
- Authors: Bartoletti A, Fabiani P, Adriani P, Baccetti F, Bagnoli L, Buffini G, Cappelletti C, Cecchini P, Gianni R, Lavacchi A, Ticali PF, Santoro GM
- Issue date: 2006 Jan
- A new management of syncope: prospective systematic guideline-based evaluation of patients referred urgently to general hospitals.
- Authors: Brignole M, Menozzi C, Bartoletti A, Giada F, Lagi A, Ungar A, Ponassi I, Mussi C, Maggi R, Re G, Furlan R, Rovelli G, Ponzi P, Scivales A
- Issue date: 2006 Jan
- Standardized-care pathway vs. usual management of syncope patients presenting as emergencies at general hospitals.
- Authors: Brignole M, Ungar A, Bartoletti A, Ponassi I, Lagi A, Mussi C, Ribani MA, Tava G, Disertori M, Quartieri F, Alboni P, Raviele A, Ammirati F, Scivales A, De Santo T, Evaluation of Guidelines in Syncope Study 2 ( EGSYS-2) GROUP.
- Issue date: 2006 Aug
- Adherence of Irish general practitioners to European guidelines for acute low back pain: a prospective pilot study.
- Authors: Fullen BM, Maher T, Bury G, Tynan A, Daly LE, Hurley DA
- Issue date: 2007 Aug