Endoscopic ultrasound with fine needle aspiration and biopsy in lung cancer and isolated mediastinal lymphadenopathy.
AffiliationAMNCH, Tallaght, Dublin 24. firstname.lastname@example.org
Aged, 80 and over
Sensitivity and Specificity
Tomography, X-Ray Computed
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEndoscopic ultrasound with fine needle aspiration and biopsy in lung cancer and isolated mediastinal lymphadenopathy. 2010, 103 (3):75-7 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractEndoscopic ultrasound with fine-needle aspiration and biopsy (EUS-FNAB) is well established in diagnosing and staging lung cancer in patients with mediastinal adenopathy. EUS-FNAB is highly sensitive, less invasive and has lower complication rates when compared to surgical staging of mediastinal nodes. In this study we describe our experience of EUS-FNAB in lung cancer and other causes of mediastinal lymphadenopathy. EUS-FNAB was performed for assessment of PET positive mediastinal lymph nodes between January 2007 and March 2009 in AMNCH. The endpoints of our study were sensitivity and specificity of EUS-FNAB, morbidity and length of hospital stay. Thirty four patients underwent EUS-FNAB during the study period for both diagnosis and staging. Thirty patients had positive lymph node invasion and 4 had no evidence of malignant invasion. In these 4 patients negative cytology was confirmed on mediastinoscopy giving EUS-FNAB a sensitivity and specificity of 100%. EUS-FNAB upstaged the disease in 12 patients. EUS-FNAB is a reliable tool for mediastinal staging in lung cancer, significantly reducing the need for surgical staging procedures in patients with suspected mediastinal involvement.
- Endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration when combined with positron emission tomography improves specificity and overall diagnostic accuracy in unexplained mediastinal lymphadenopathy and staging of non-small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Kalade AV, Eddie Lau WF, Conron M, Wright GM, Desmond PV, Hicks RJ, Chen R
- Issue date: 2008 Nov
- Endoscopic ultrasound reduces surgical mediastinal staging in lung cancer: a randomized trial.
- Authors: Tournoy KG, De Ryck F, Vanwalleghem LR, Vermassen F, Praet M, Aerts JG, Van Maele G, van Meerbeeck JP
- Issue date: 2008 Mar 1
- [Role of endoscopic ultrasound (EUS) and endobronchial ultrasound (EBUS) for the evaluation of mediastinal adenopathy].
- Authors: Béchade D, Chomy F
- Issue date: 2012 Jul-Aug
- Endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration cytology in the evaluation of suspected tuberculosis in patients with isolated mediastinal lymphadenopathy.
- Authors: Puri R, Vilmann P, Sud R, Kumar M, Taneja S, Verma K, Kaushik N
- Issue date: 2010 Jun
- Evaluation of mediastinal lymphadenopathy with endoscopic US-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy.
- Authors: Wiersema MJ, Vazquez-Sequeiros E, Wiersema LM
- Issue date: 2001 Apr