A national study on the attitudes of Irish dental faculty members to faculty development.
AuthorsO'Sullivan, E M
AffiliationOral & Maxillofacial Surgery Department, Cork University Dental School & Hospital, University College Cork, Cork, Ireland. email@example.com
Attitude of Health Personnel
Education, Dental, Continuing
MetadataShow full item record
CitationA national study on the attitudes of Irish dental faculty members to faculty development. 2010, 14 (1):43-9 Eur J Dent Educ
JournalEuropean journal of dental education : official journal of the Association for Dental Education in Europe
AbstractInternational studies suggest that dental faculty are resistant to the concept and practice of faculty development. This paper analyses the demographic and educational profile of Irish Dental Faculty, exploring their attitudes to educational initiatives.
Irish dental faculty were invited to participate in a national study on perceived educational needs. A custom-designed questionnaire was distributed using a 'mixed-method' approach, incorporating both quantitative and qualitative components. Overall response rate was 64.6%.
Analysis of the demographic profile of Irish dental faculty reveals a male dominated regime (64%). Whilst faculty possess many professional qualifications and extensive clinical experience, most have little or no training in how to teach. Many had attended teacher training programmes; however, 92% merely attended infrequent, informal sessions. Less than a third (30%) of the part-time staff had attended teacher training (P
This study indicates that targeted educational interventions, with content and delivery tailored to the specific needs of recipients, are most likely to succeed.
- The demographic and academic profile of Irish dental school faculty members.
- Authors: O'Sullivan EM
- Issue date: 2009 Dec-2010 Jan
- Factors considered by new faculty in their decision to choose careers in academic dentistry.
- Authors: Schenkein HA, Best AM
- Issue date: 2001 Sep
- Work environment perceptions of full-time dental educators: does gender matter?
- Authors: Nesbitt PE, Inglehart MR, Sinkford JC
- Issue date: 2003 Aug
- Leadership development in dental education: report on the ADEA Leadership Institute, 2000-08.
- Authors: Haden NK, Ranney RR, Weinstein G, Breeding LC, Bresch JE, Valachovic RW
- Issue date: 2010 Mar
- Does faculty development enhance teaching effectiveness?
- Authors: Hendricson WD, Anderson E, Andrieu SC, Chadwick DG, Cole JR, George MC, Glickman GN, Glover JF, Goldberg JS, Haden NK, Kalkwarf KL, Meyerowitz C, Neumann LM, Pyle M, Tedesco LA, Valachovic RW, Weaver RG, Winder RL, Young SK
- Issue date: 2007 Dec