The effectiveness of 2-implant overdentures - a pragmatic international multicentre study.
Awad, M A
Thomason, J M
Spielberg, G P
Feine, J S
AffiliationFaculty of Dentistry, Ajman University of Science and Technology, Ajman, UAE.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationThe effectiveness of 2-implant overdentures - a pragmatic international multicentre study. 2011, 38 (3):176-84 J Oral Rehabil
JournalJournal of oral rehabilitation
AbstractThe purpose of this multicentre observational study was to determine patient satisfaction with either conventional dentures or mandibular 2-implant overdentures in a 'real world' setting. Two hundred and three edentulous patients (mean age 68·8 ± 10·4 years) were recruited at eight centres located in North America, South America and Europe. The patients were provided with new mandibular conventional dentures or implant overdentures supported by two implants and ball attachments. At baseline and at 6 months post-treatment, they rated their satisfaction with their mandibular prostheses on 100-mm visual analogue scale questionnaires. One hundred and two (50·2%) participants had valid baseline and 6-month satisfaction data. Although both groups reported improvements, the implant overdenture group reported significantly higher ratings of overall satisfaction, comfort, stability, ability to speak and ability to chew. These results suggest that edentulous patients who choose mandibular implant overdentures have significantly greater improvements in satisfaction, despite their relatively higher cost, than those who choose new conventional dentures.
- Oral health status and treatment satisfaction with mandibular implant overdentures and conventional dentures: a randomized clinical trial in a senior population.
- Authors: Awad MA, Lund JP, Shapiro SH, Locker D, Klemetti E, Chehade A, Savard A, Feine JS
- Issue date: 2003 Jul-Aug
- Patient satisfaction with mandibular implant overdentures and conventional dentures 6 months after delivery.
- Authors: Thomason JM, Lund JP, Chehade A, Feine JS
- Issue date: 2003 Sep-Oct
- Sex differences in denture satisfaction.
- Authors: Pan S, Awad M, Thomason JM, Dufresne E, Kobayashi T, Kimoto S, Wollin SD, Feine JS
- Issue date: 2008 May
- Comparing the efficacy of mandibular implant-retained overdentures and conventional dentures among middle-aged edentulous patients: satisfaction and functional assessment.
- Authors: Awad MA, Lund JP, Dufresne E, Feine JS
- Issue date: 2003 Mar-Apr
- Comparison of three-implant-supported fixed dentures and two-implant-retained overdentures in the edentulous mandible: a pilot study of treatment efficacy and patient satisfaction.
- Authors: De Kok IJ, Chang KH, Lu TS, Cooper LF
- Issue date: 2011 Mar-Apr