Effects of preoperative neuromuscular electrical stimulation on quadriceps strength and functional recovery in total knee arthroplasty. A pilot study.
AffiliationDepartment of Orthopaedic Surgery, Cappagh National Orthopaedic Hospital, Finglas, Dublin, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Aged, 80 and over
Arthroplasty, Replacement, Knee
Electric Stimulation Therapy
Range of Motion, Articular
Recovery of Function
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEffects of preoperative neuromuscular electrical stimulation on quadriceps strength and functional recovery in total knee arthroplasty. A pilot study. 2010, 11:119 BMC Musculoskelet Disord
JournalBMC musculoskeletal disorders
AbstractThis pilot study has shown that preoperative NMES may improve recovery of quadriceps muscle strength and expedite a return to normal activities in patients undergoing TKA for OA. Recommendations for appropriate outcome instruments in future studies of prehabilitation in TKA have been provided.
- Quadriceps strength in relation to total knee arthroplasty outcomes.
- Authors: Saleh KJ, Lee LW, Gandhi R, Ingersoll CD, Mahomed NN, Sheibani-Rad S, Novicoff WM, Mihalko WM
- Issue date: 2010
- The use of neuromuscular electrical stimulation to improve activation deficits in a patient with chronic quadriceps strength impairments following total knee arthroplasty.
- Authors: Petterson S, Snyder-Mackler L
- Issue date: 2006 Sep
- Isokinetic strength testing of minimally invasive total knee arthroplasty recovery.
- Authors: Schroer WC, Diesfeld PJ, Reedy ME, LeMarr AR
- Issue date: 2010 Feb
- Loss of knee-extension strength is related to knee swelling after total knee arthroplasty.
- Authors: Holm B, Kristensen MT, Bencke J, Husted H, Kehlet H, Bandholm T
- Issue date: 2010 Nov
- Improved function from progressive strengthening interventions after total knee arthroplasty: a randomized clinical trial with an imbedded prospective cohort.
- Authors: Petterson SC, Mizner RL, Stevens JE, Raisis L, Bodenstab A, Newcomb W, Snyder-Mackler L
- Issue date: 2009 Feb 15