AffiliationDivision of Public and Child Dental Health, Dental School, and Department of Paediatrics Trinity College, Dublin 2. firstname.lastname@example.org
Infant, Small for Gestational Age
MetadataShow full item record
CitationOral health of children born small for gestational age. 2010, 103 (9):275-8 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractWe sought to evaluate the oral health status of children born small for gestational age (SGA). Children now aged 4-8 years who were born SGA (birth weight < -2 SDS) were examined using standardised criteria. The parents completed a structured oral health questionnaire. Twenty females and 25 males, mean age 72.1 months, and mean birth weight 2.1 kg, participated in the study. Poor appetite was a concern; 32 (71%) children snacked between meals and 14 (30%) used carbonated beverages more than 3 times daily. Erosion was present in 9 (20%) children. Dental decay occurred in 22 (47%) children with 92% being untreated. Eight children had more than 5 decayed teeth. It is essential that clinicians working with children born SGA include oral health within the general health surveillance and refer these children for a dental assessment within the first 2 years to support parents in establishing safe feeding patterns for their children.
- Oral health comparisons between children attending an Aboriginal health service and a Government school dental service in a regional location.
- Authors: Parker EJ, Jamieson LM
- Issue date: 2007 Apr-Jun
- Small for gestational age (SGA): endocrine and metabolic consequences and effects of growth hormone treatment.
- Authors: Hokken-Koelega AC, De Waal WJ, Sas TC, Van Pareren Y, Arends NJ
- Issue date: 2004 Mar
- Catch-down growth during infancy of children born small (SGA) or appropriate (AGA) for gestational age with short-statured parents.
- Authors: Völkl TM, Haas B, Beier C, Simm D, Dörr HG
- Issue date: 2006 Jun
- Dental caries of refugee children compared with US children.
- Authors: Cote S, Geltman P, Nunn M, Lituri K, Henshaw M, Garcia RI
- Issue date: 2004 Dec
- Head circumference and body proportions before and during growth hormone treatment in short children who were born small for gestational age.
- Authors: Arends NJ, Boonstra VH, Hokken-Koelega AC
- Issue date: 2004 Sep