Life course social mobility and risk of upper aerodigestive tract cancer in men.
Conway, D I
McKinney, P A
McMahon, A D
Macfarlane, G J
Macfarlane, T V
McCarten, B E
AffiliationBremen Institute for Prevention Research and Social Medicine, Linzer Strasse 10, Bremen, Germany. Nils.Schmeisser@bips.uni-bremen.de
Aged, 80 and over
Head and Neck Neoplasms
Interviews as Topic
MetadataShow full item record
CitationLife course social mobility and risk of upper aerodigestive tract cancer in men. 2010, 25 (3):173-82 Eur. J. Epidemiol.
JournalEuropean journal of epidemiology
AbstractThe aim of this study was to explore associations between social mobility and tumours of the upper aero-digestive tract (UADT), focussing on life-course transitions in social prestige (SP) based on occupational history. 1,796 cases diagnosed between 1993 and 2005 in ten European countries were compared with 1585 controls. SP was classified by the Standard International Occupational Prestige Scale (SIOPS) based on job histories. SIOPS was categorised in high (H), medium (M) and low (L). Time weighted average achieved and transitions between SP with nine trajectories: H --> H, H --> M, H --> L, M --> H, M --> M, M --> L, L --> H, L --> M and L --> L were analysed. Odds ratios (ORs) and 95%-confidence intervals [95%-CIs] were estimated with logistic regression models including age, consumption of fruits/vegetables, study centre, smoking and alcohol consumption. The adjusted OR for the lowest versus the highest of three categories (time weighted average of SP) was 1.28 [1.04-1.56]. The distance of SP widened between cases and controls during working life. The downward trajectory H --> L gave an OR of 1.71 [0.75-3.87] as compared to H --> H. Subjects with M --> M and L --> L trajectories ORs were also elevated relative to subjects with H --> H trajectories. The association between SP and UADT is not fully explained by confounding factors. Downward social trajectory during the life course may be an independent risk factor for UADT cancers.
- Socioeconomic factors associated with risk of upper aerodigestive tract cancer in Europe.
- Authors: Conway DI, McKinney PA, McMahon AD, Ahrens W, Schmeisser N, Benhamou S, Bouchardy C, Macfarlane GJ, Macfarlane TV, Lagiou P, Minaki P, Bencko V, Holcátová I, Merletti F, Richiardi L, Kjaerheim K, Agudo A, Castellsague X, Talamini R, Barzan L, Canova C, Simonato L, Lowry RJ, Znaor A, Healy CM, McCartan BE, Marron M, Hashibe M, Brennan P
- Issue date: 2010 Feb
- Occupational prestige, social mobility and the association with lung cancer in men.
- Authors: Behrens T, Groß I, Siemiatycki J, Conway DI, Olsson A, Stücker I, Guida F, Jöckel KH, Pohlabeln H, Ahrens W, Brüske I, Wichmann HE, Gustavsson P, Consonni D, Merletti F, Richiardi L, Simonato L, Fortes C, Parent ME, McLaughlin J, Demers P, Landi MT, Caporaso N, Zaridze D, Szeszenia-Dabrowska N, Rudnai P, Lissowska J, Fabianova E, Tardón A, Field JK, Dumitru RS, Bencko V, Foretova L, Janout V, Kromhout H, Vermeulen R, Boffetta P, Straif K, Schüz J, Hovanec J, Kendzia B, Pesch B, Brüning T
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 7
- Smoking addiction and the risk of upper-aerodigestive-tract cancer in a multicenter case-control study.
- Authors: Lee YC, Zugna D, Richiardi L, Merletti F, Marron M, Ahrens W, Pohlabeln H, Lagiou P, Trichopoulos D, Agudo A, Castellsague X, Betka J, Holcatova I, Kjaerheim K, Macfarlane GJ, Macfarlane TV, Talamini R, Barzan L, Canova C, Simonato L, Conway DI, McKinney PA, Thomson P, Znaor A, Healy CM, McCartan BE, Boffetta P, Brennan P, Hashibe M
- Issue date: 2013 Dec 1
- Dietary risk factors for squamous cell carcinoma of the upper aerodigestive tract in central and eastern Europe.
- Authors: Sapkota A, Hsu CC, Zaridze D, Shangina O, Szeszenia-Dabrowska N, Mates D, Fabiánová E, Rudnai P, Janout V, Holcatova I, Brennan P, Boffetta P, Hashibe M
- Issue date: 2008 Dec
- Time to first cigarette and upper aerodigestive tract cancer risk in Japan.
- Authors: Matsuo K, Gallus S, Negri E, Kawakita D, Oze I, Hosono S, Ito H, Hatooka S, Hasegawa Y, Shinoda M, Tajima K, La Vecchia C, Tanaka H
- Issue date: 2012 Nov