Effect of pre-heating on the viscosity and microhardness of a resin composite.
AffiliationRestorative Dentistry, University Dental School and Hospital, Wilton, Cork, Ireland.
Dental Restoration, Permanent
Dental Stress Analysis
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEffect of pre-heating on the viscosity and microhardness of a resin composite. 2010, 37 (4):278-82 J Oral Rehabil
JournalJournal of oral rehabilitation
AbstractThe effect of pre-heating resin composite on pre-cured viscosity and post-cured surface hardness was evaluated. Groups of uncured specimens were heated to 60 degrees C and compared with control groups (24 degrees C) with respect to viscosity and surface hardness. Mean (SD) viscosities of the pre-heated specimens (n = 15) were in the range of 285 (13)-377 (11) (Pa) compared with 642 (35)-800 (23) (Pa) at ambient temperature. There was a statistically significant difference between the two groups (P < 0.001). Mean (SD) Vickers microhardness (VHN) of the pre-heated group (n = 15) was 68.6 (2.3) for the top surface and 68.7 (1.8) for the bottom surface measured at 24 h post curing (specimen thickness = 1.5 mm). The corresponding values for the room temperature group were 60.6 (1.4) and 59.0 (3.5). There was a statistically significant difference between corresponding measurements taken at the top and bottom for the pre-heated and room temperature groups (P < 0.001). There was no significant difference between top and bottom measurements within each group. Pre-heating resin composite reduces its pre-cured viscosity and enhances its subsequent surface hardness. These effects may translate as easier placement together with an increased degree of polymerization and depth-of-cure.
- Effect of pre-heating on depth of cure and surface hardness of light-polymerized resin composites.
- Authors: Muñoz CA, Bond PR, Sy-Muñoz J, Tan D, Peterson J
- Issue date: 2008 Aug
- The effect of resin composite pre-heating on monomer conversion and polymerization shrinkage.
- Authors: Lohbauer U, Zinelis S, Rahiotis C, Petschelt A, Eliades G
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- Hardness and wear resistance of two resin composites cured with equivalent radiant exposure from a low irradiance LED and QTH light-curing units.
- Authors: Ramp LC, Broome JC, Ramp MH
- Issue date: 2006 Feb
- Curing units' ability to cure restorative composites and dual-cured composite cements under composite overlay.
- Authors: Park SH, Kim SS, Cho YS, Lee CK, Noh BD
- Issue date: 2004 Nov-Dec
- The effect of various placement techniques on the microhardness of Class II (slot) resin composite restorations.
- Authors: Moosavi H, Abedini S
- Issue date: 2009 Sep 1