Clinical experiences of undergraduate dental students in pediatric dentistry at Cork University Dental School and Hospital, Ireland.
AffiliationDepartment of Oral Health and Development, Cork University Dental School and Hospital, Wilton, Cork, Ireland. email@example.com
Continuity of Patient Care
Dental Care for Children
Dental Restoration, Permanent
Patient Care Planning
Patient Education as Topic
Pit and Fissure Sealants
MetadataShow full item record
CitationClinical experiences of undergraduate dental students in pediatric dentistry at Cork University Dental School and Hospital, Ireland. 2010, 74 (3):325-30 J Dent Educ
JournalJournal of dental education
AbstractThe objectives of this study were to evaluate the number and range of clinical procedures completed by undergraduate dental students in pediatric dentistry in Cork University Dental School and Hospital, Ireland, and to compare the number of procedures undertaken with the subsequent examination scores. The work comprised a retrospective audit of clinical logbooks for all of the undergraduate dental students in one cohort through their fourth and fifth clinical years between 2004 and 2006. Thirty-four quantitative logbooks were audited. Students had seen a total of 1,031 patients, and each student had completed a full course of dental treatment for an average of twenty-two children. Students completed means of 30.2 restorative procedures for children, fourteen in deciduous dentition (range six to twenty-eight), and seventeen in permanent dentition (range seven to twenty-eight). Continuity of education and care (measured through children having their treatment fully completed by the same student) was 72 percent. A moderate positive correlation between levels of clinical experience and exam score was identified. All students gained experience in management of child patients with students providing care for an average of thirty children and a minimum of nineteen.
- Paediatric dentistry experience of the first cohort of students to graduate from Dublin Dental School and Hospital under the new curriculum.
- Authors: Finucane D, Nunn JH, O'Connell AC
- Issue date: 2004 Nov
- Comparison of undergraduate pediatric dentistry clinical procedures from 1982-83 through 1996-97.
- Authors: Walker JD, Pinkham JR, Jakobsen J
- Issue date: 1999 Nov-Dec
- Treatment trends during a thirteen-year period in a student pediatric dentistry clinic.
- Authors: Bimstein E, Eidelman E
- Issue date: 1997 Jul-Aug
- Ready for practice? A study of confidence levels of final year dental students at Cardiff University and University College Cork.
- Authors: Honey J, Lynch CD, Burke FM, Gilmour AS
- Issue date: 2011 May
- U.S. predoctoral education in pediatric dentistry: its impact on access to dental care.
- Authors: Seale NS, Casamassimo PS
- Issue date: 2003 Jan